Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tried 6 speed ally in 2nd. I read that if you come to a complete stop, put the truck in M, select 2nd , you get more traction. I have 2wd so I need all the help I can get off the line.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
i dont think that would work... the gear range button only allows it to get into that gear and it wont shift to 3rd. it still goes through 1st before it gets to 2nd.... not sure if this is right 100%

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm not sure, I read an article in diesel power mag that in 06 a new feature was that in a poor traction situation you can stop the truck and select M, then go to 2nd. They claim you get better traction this way, I tried it after I talked to jim, who built my tranny. He said he would let me know for sure soon. Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim knows a lot about trannys, I will let you know

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I read the article in diesel power magazine. They claim a feature starting in 2006 when the 6 speed came out was stated like this, in a poor traction situation you first have to stop the truck, then go to M and select 2nd, this is supposed to limit the torque some how. I will look for the magazine posting and list it here. It also gives max rpm and speed in each gear. So if it is not true they had a big write up on it for nothing and that sucks for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worded this wrong, sorry, its low traction mode and you select 2 m to use it, which keeps the wheels from slipping as bad. Its in the owners manual, so I guess its really not 2nd gear but if you have 2wd like me it helps on the 60ft times even though you take power away for a second. Sorry again for not wording this correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts