Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading some posts on here about other people's rear main seal failing, I was just wondering if anyone got it fixed then it happened again not even 1000kms later.

Story:

Anyone else have an issue with the main rear seal in the 3.0 Duramaxs? GM knows about the issue as there is a service bulletin on the matter, I took it to the dealer last week with no oil on the dip stick, they had it for about a week, got it back on Wednesday, and noticed yesterday evening oil drips again, at first I was just thinking it was run off/spray from the last malfunction but it still going today. Not near as bad as the first time it let go and sprayed all underneath but still very concerning. I asked if the problem would be corrected since I don't want to be going through a week with a loaner and its a 12 hour job of pulling my transmission and everything else out everytime this comes about, they said it should be corrected, but I'm thinking it's not. Just seeing if anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

Here is where I think the oil is coming from this time.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Just read on GM Techlink that the rear timing cover with new seal installed is replaced for this leak. Seal comes with new installation tool to keep from deforming the new seal lip.
maybe check with your dealer and take them a copy- they very seldom read their own data.
Good luck- I hate oil leaks!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2020 Silverado RST 3.0L Duramax. Bought in October 2020. 12,500 miles. Rear Main seal blew out, oil everywhere. Seeing this is a common issue and GM has a bulletin out on it. Dealer says 12+ hour repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been reading some posts on here about other people's rear main seal failing, I was just wondering if anyone got it fixed then it happened again not even 1000kms later.

Story:

Anyone else have an issue with the main rear seal in the 3.0 Duramaxs? GM knows about the issue as there is a service bulletin on the matter, I took it to the dealer last week with no oil on the dip stick, they had it for about a week, got it back on Wednesday, and noticed yesterday evening oil drips again, at first I was just thinking it was run off/spray from the last malfunction but it still going today. Not near as bad as the first time it let go and sprayed all underneath but still very concerning. I asked if the problem would be corrected since I don't want to be going through a week with a loaner and its a 12 hour job of pulling my transmission and everything else out everytime this comes about, they said it should be corrected, but I'm thinking it's not. Just seeing if anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

Here is where I think the oil is coming from this time. View attachment 1086766
My 2020 LTZ/ZR1 has been babied, multiple 100 Chevy Smart driver app score.

10,600 miles it blew a rear main seal. Rarely gets the epa mileage or even close.

I hope a BBB lemon filing for dealerships who never fixed the problems, violating GM’s BBB agreement will get a fair by back. If not there is tons of lemon law lawyers.

I get so angry seeing members her, multiple other sites, and multiple Facebook sites for the 3.0 Duramax. Either getting no problems or unlimited problems.

So much for GM concentrating on high profit trucks and SUVs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts