Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my second Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax. First one was a 2020 and the truck was awesome and never ever had any problems. I traded it at 65,000 miles for a 2021, the 2021 has problems. At random distances I am getting "Service DEF System" and the truck starts slowing itself down. The truck has 21,000 miles on it now. So far, when it starts slowing itself down, it eventually clears the alarm (but not until it has slowed the truck down). Now it has gotten worse, there was a gap of about 5,000-6,000 miles between incidents, but this weekend it had the problem, cleared itself, and then came on again within about 200 miles. And this time, for the first time, it immediately started limiting the truck speed.
I took it to a dealer in Riverhead, NY and they said they have never seen the 3.0 diesel and really had no clue as to what may be wrong with it. When I took it to them, the alarm had already cleared.
I took it to a Dealer in North Vernon, Indiana, this time the alarm was active, they said they called the factory, and that it may be a hose in the DEF system. They ordered the hose, and I have been waiting for three months for the hose to arrive. Personally, I don't think it's a hose. But I am no expert.
Has anyone else had this random DEF alarm?
Oh, I should mention, the 2020 truck started immediately, very impressive actually. This new one tends to crank longer before it starts, once it even died at a stop sign (the engine turns off when stopped). It just really died instead of coming back on like it should.
Help, anyone ?

UPDATE: Problem showed a new symptom. When the alarm comes up that says it is going to slow down the truck in 75 miles, it counts down, 75...74...73...etc until it hits 0, then it actually slows down the truck and starts counting to the next interval where it will slow it down even more. This time around, it said it was going to slow down the truck at 75 miles...and never counted down ! It just stayed at 75 miles, for about 50 miles, and then the alarm cleared (like it usually eventually does). I don't know but I'm hoping this provides a better hint as to where to look for the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No codes?
No codes show up on my dash. The check engine light comes on at the same time the alarm does, and after it clears, about a day later the check engine light shuts off also.
Mechanics in two different dealerships had the truck on a reader and they say they see the past codes/alarms, but other than indicating it was DEF system related, and the one guy saying they want to try a new hose, they didn't tell me what the codes were.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
43 Posts
At this point, I'd get a cheap code reader just to see what's going on when it happens. If on android, get the Torque app and a cheapo obdii dongle from amazon or Ebay or something, they're decent enough to read the codes and reset when you want to. Something like this one:

ELM327 dongle

There's a free app and a pro app that you pay for. The free app will read and erase codes iirc, although I have the pro app and a good dongle (OBDLinkMX+). Lots of other free apps online too if you have an Iphone or don't want the Torque app for android.

Always good to have one of them while on the road, you can at least see what's going on without going to a shop or parts store to have them read the codes. At least you'll know what you're dealing with before you head to the dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point, I'd get a cheap code reader just to see what's going on when it happens. If on android, get the Torque app and a cheapo obdii dongle from amazon or Ebay or something, they're decent enough to read the codes and reset when you want to. Something like this one:

ELM327 dongle

There's a free app and a pro app that you pay for. The free app will read and erase codes iirc, although I have the pro app and a good dongle (OBDLinkMX+). Lots of other free apps online too if you have an Iphone or don't want the Torque app for android.

Always good to have one of them while on the road, you can at least see what's going on without going to a shop or parts store to have them read the codes. At least you'll know what you're dealing with before you head to the dealership.
Flyin,
Two questions..
I don't have an Android but I need a new phone anyway, so I can get the android, however, do they have one of these that works with a cable instead of Bluetooth? Too many complications in my life already with Bluetooth, app's, etc. Or can I just leave this thing plugged in all the time and look at it when I want/need too, so Bluetooth may be better?

Other thing is, this one specifically says it is not for diesel engines in the description. Does yours work with a diesel anyway?

Thank you for your help !

Patrick

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
43 Posts
Flyin,
Two questions..
I don't have an Android but I need a new phone anyway, so I can get the android, however, do they have one of these that works with a cable instead of Bluetooth? Too many complications in my life already with Bluetooth, app's, etc. Or can I just leave this thing plugged in all the time and look at it when I want/need too, so Bluetooth may be better?

Other thing is, this one specifically says it is not for diesel engines in the description. Does yours work with a diesel anyway?

Patrick
Mine works with my truck just fine for reading codes and throwing up a few gauges, but I haven't done a lot of playing around with it since I have the Edge Insight CTS3 for the truck. Dunno why it says not for diesels, as my son's ELM327 dongle looks exactly like that and is about 7 or 8 years old (used to be mine a LONG time ago). It worked on his buddy's diesel truck (believe it was an F350) a while back to read and erase some codes.

This one does say for all American vehicles '96 and newer:

Another ELM327 dongle

There are some wifi versions as well as just the old school style dongles that you plug in and read direct from the handheld unit. The only nice thing about the bt dongles is that you can get more info through your phone from the app when something comes up. It also allows you to create your own gauges depending on what PIDs the dongle is able to read and the app is able to discover once the two things connect to one another.

As for leaving them plugged in, you could, but you really shouldn't, as these cheapo ones don't shut down or go to sleep when the vehicle is off. Hell, even the good ones are susceptible to killing the battery! Had an older OBDLinkMX and it died on me one day, I can only assume because I used to leave it plugged into my 4runner 24/7. I now just leave the new one in the center console and pop it in when I need it.

Been playing around with those ELM327 dongles for many years and I've found some work better than others, even though they all look the same. For what they cost, its worth trying it out and seeing what it can do!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flyin,
Two questions..

Patrick
I ordered one called the BlueDriver. It says it works with the 3.0 Duramax specifically. Will be here by Saturday. It also works on android or apple devices.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
43 Posts
Let us know how that BlueDriver works! They've been around for quite a while iirc, but I never had one to try out. If you do go with an android phone, I'd highly recommend Torque Pro. There is a LOT you can do with it, and I've never had any major issues with the app! Its also one of the few apps where, if you're technically savvy, you can program your own PIDs into the app and have a gauge that may not be available as a standard gauge/reading. Did that with the 4runner to get trans pan and converter temps, found the code on another forum and just followed directions to get it working!

For your purpose, you can do full-data logging from within Torque Pro and see exactly what and when things are happening. Ain't gonna lie, its not super-easy to get it programmed correctly for data-logging, but it isn't too hard after reading a bit online and following some youtube vids. You can even have it signal an alarm at specific points so you don't even have to continuously monitor things. Perhaps find an old android phone like a galaxy s5 or s7 (I know both of those work, that's what I've used for Torque) and just make it a dedicated Torque Pro "monitor".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Just got the truck back from Eagle Chevy in Riverhead. They said the Reductant Injector has low flow, and I need a new one. They had to order the part. So we'll see, but this Reductant Injector is pretty important I guess.
Also, got the BlueDriver, plugged it into the Silverado and it works well ! More information pouring out of that thing then I could ever need to know. I am going to try to log the trip to Indiana this weekend. Would love to catch the light coming on.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
43 Posts
Bummer on the injector going bad, I'd keep it if they let you, maybe you can send it in to get cleaned? Having a spare might be a good thing to have. Not even sure its possible to clean those injectors, I'd call RC Fuel Injection to see if they're able to, they've always done a great job for my regular fuel injectors.
Good to hear the BlueDriver works well for ya! I assume you're using it with Torque? If so, there's a ton of stuff you can do with that app, including using the graphing section to monitor any of the available PIDs. Do an X axis and select the check engine light PID, I believe there's another thing that makes the phone beep when its triggered, you should be able to log any of the errors that come up that way, including before during and after it gets set off. Might need to get the paid version of Torque to do all of that though, but I think its worth the 30 bucks or whatever they're charging for it nowadays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts