Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
421 - 440 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am a GM diesel tech. Engineering is still working on a fix for this. It has to due with a bad CAM sensor signal being received by ECM on crank. Turn key off for a minute and retry it will usually start.
SO far I had one I replacedthe ECM on, I'm currently shimming the cam sensor on one that is supposed to fix this issue..... we shall see! TSB PIP5806D addresses this issue.
Personally, as a tech..... this engine is a piece of crap! miserable to work on! We can't even order new trucks with this engine option right now, GM stopped build the engine!
Can you please give specifics regarding your “piece of crap” designation. Curious as to your personal experiences. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
"
"I am a GM diesel tech. Engineering is still working on a fix for this. It has to due with a bad CAM sensor signal being received by ECM on crank. Turn key off for a minute and retry it will usually start.
SO far I had one I replacedthe ECM on, I'm currently shimming the cam sensor on one that is supposed to fix this issue..... we shall see! TSB PIP5806D addresses this issue.
Personally, as a tech..... this engine is a piece of crap! miserable to work on! We can't even order new trucks with this engine option right now, GM stopped build the engine!"

My wife's car is a Subaru Outback with the 4 cylinder engine. I was looking for a mechanic as we are new(er) to this area and the Subie will be due for a 90K service soon. I told the mechanic I was talking to that while we love the Outback, I wished we had purchased the 6 cyl rather than the four. He said the 6 cyl was a piece of crap and that he hated working on them. When I asked him to explain why the 6 cyl was a POC, he confessed that they weren't, but that he just hated them because they "were miserable to work on..."....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im sure it’s because they have to rip the entire truck apart to actually do any repairs on it, warranty doesn’t pay shit and they know they will be doing repairs on it!
This doesn't answer my question :)

Where can I find GM bulletins?

·
Registered
78 Posts
My wife's car is a Subaru Outback with the 4 cylinder engine. I was looking for a mechanic as we are new(er) to this area and the Subie will be due for a 90K service soon. I told the mechanic I was talking to that while we love the Outback, I wished we had purchased the 6 cyl rather than the four. He said the 6 cyl was a piece of crap and that he hated working on them. When I asked him to explain why the 6 cyl was a POC, he confessed that they weren't, but that he just hated them because they "were miserable to work on..."....
Subaru 6 cyl is a great engine and easily one of the best Subaru has ever made. If you're a mechanic though it's not your friend, it's stuffed in the engine bay and you have no room.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Someone on the Faceplant duramax group just posted that an ECM fix for the start-no-crank issue is out. The Yukon Bulletin is out, PIP5823. Bulletins for the other models with the LM2 are due out soon.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
just saw that, seems that its an ecm reprogramming. that confirms my opinion of it being a software related issue. maybe gm does actually read these boards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully this new update works my truck has 3500 miles just did it today at gas station for 3rd time everyone was staring was akward thank god for limo tint haha
Dealer said they will look into it at my 5000 mile service in couple weeks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Someone on the Faceplant duramax group just posted that an ECM fix for the start-no-crank issue is out. The Yukon Bulletin is out, PIP5823. Bulletins for the other models with the LM2 are due out soon.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.....
Is this something that should be applied to EVERY vehicle or only those which have exhibited this issue? Why would it only apply to Yukon only? That makes no sense...

·
Registered
46 Posts
This doesn't answer my question :)

Where can I find GM bulletins?
Good questions. Would like to know myself.

Is this something that should be applied to EVERY vehicle or only those which have exhibited this issue? Why would it only apply to Yukon only? That makes no sense...
Perhaps the reflash has not been completed yet for the other vehicles??

·
Registered
6 Posts
when someone has this update done, please post if it does or does not work. I am taking my in for a oil change in two weeks and Ill have it done. Would like to know if it works before it is done. It seems like the no start is happening more often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
when someone has this update done, please post if it does or does not work. I am taking my in for a oil change in two weeks and Ill have it done. Would like to know if it works before it is done. It seems like the no start is happening more often.
I have just had this update done ; bulletin PIP5823A.. I have had the crank and no start 4 times in 12k miles.. I have noticed a difference in the way it starts now,

·
Registered
6 Posts
They changed the start sequence, It cranks over a few times like it is building pressure or getting a better reading from a sensor, then it fires..

421 - 440 of 489 Posts