Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
441 - 460 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is this recommended for ALL vehicles or only those having problems?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax that is 4 weeks old with 2500 miles. The following has happened three times. I press the brake, press the start button, the engine turns over for approximately 10 seconds without starting. Each of the three times it has started on the next attempt.

The dealer looked at it after the second time and could find nothing wrong.

After reading this thread it appears to be more than an isolated case.
I have the same issue with my new AT4 with the 3.0. Did they ever find a fix for yours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just called the dealer today in regards to this TSB and have my Silverado scheduled in for ECM reprogram next Wednesday. Service writer said the TSB now has a B instead of an “A” at the end with a date of Oct 4th. Hoping this takes care of the extended crank. Truck has been great so far other than this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Following the thread, interested in
I have just had this update done ; bulletin PIP5823A.. I have had the crank and no start 4 times in 12k miles.. I have noticed a difference in the way it starts now,
Thanks for your post! My 21 GMC, 12000 Klicks, has done this twice now! Looking forward to follow up post from you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine has done it 3 times in the last month.

Here is something interesting I stumbled across.

Seems a number of Kia vehicles had the exact same problem. Times out cranking, but always cranks on second push of the button. One person said he started using his second key fob and it seemed to have fixed it. So maybe it has something to do with the FOB???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has done it 3 times in the last month.

Here is something interesting I stumbled across.

Seems a number of Kia vehicles had the exact same problem. Times out cranking, but always cranks on second push of the button. One person said he started using his second key fob and it seemed to have fixed it. So maybe it has something to do with the FOB???
Doubt it. It's intermittent so it would be extremely difficult to narrow it down to one fob. Also, it happens on remote start and push start, and there have been a couple of reports of it also happening during Auto Stop restart sessions.

·
Premium Member
3,450 Posts
Doubt it. It's intermittent so it would be extremely difficult to narrow it down to one fob. Also, it happens on remote start and push start, and there have been a couple of reports of it also happening during Auto Stop restart sessions.
How would it be so difficult? Drive the truck with your second fob. And yes, a fob issue could cause it to happen under any starting circumstance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am going to switch FOB's this evening. What is the worst that could happen? Believe it or not, mine has done it 3 times in 5000 miles. Once after running into a store. Once first thing in the morning. And once when I was leaving work and used my FOB to crank it. 3 times. 3 different scenarios.

I just find it interesting that the Kia owners were having the exact same problem, and it always started on the second try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm willing to try the spare Fob. Why not! My truck must of been three months old first time & about 4 weeks later second time. I'm thinking this could take quite a while to test.
I don't want to bring mine back to the dealer till a fix is confirmed! An intermittent problem like this can be difficult to find :(
If problem occurs with second Fob I'l post back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an appointment tomorrow for the TSB. I will report back with the results. I have had the truck for about 3 1/2 months and have had over a dozen extended cranks. The longest I have gone without one is probably close to two weeks so I should hopefully know pretty quickly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an appointment tomorrow for the TSB. I will report back with the results. I have had the truck for about 3 1/2 months and have had over a dozen extended cranks. The longest I have gone without one is probably close to two weeks so I should hopefully know pretty quickly.
You experience it more than most. Looking forward to hearing if it helps you

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
About a year and at 15,000+ miles hasn't missed a start yet.
Yes, I'll get the update.

Reactions: Stbentoak

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here, 8 months and 15k.
I wish I could say the same - it’s more of an annoyance at this point after 3 1/2 months and 10k. The first few times caused concern not knowing what it was, but it’s always started right up on the second. I just hope that it doesn’t happen in front of an audience. Have been asked if I needed a tow before… keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow’s update fixes it. The longest I’ve gone without an extended crank is about two weeks so I should hopefully know fairly quick since it sounds that most people have had it only a handful of times.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Not starting first crank used to be a pretty common thing.

Electronic fuel injection (both gas and diesel) has kinda spoiled us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just finished up at the dealer with the ECM update. There is a definite difference in how the truck starts now. Takes an extra second or two than what it use to - almost like it was going to do the extended crank/no start. Possibly giving more time for the cam sensor signal? Hopefully this takes care of it. I’m cautiously optimistic .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just finished up at the dealer with the ECM update. There is a definite difference in how the truck starts now. Takes an extra second or two than what it use to - almost like it was going to do the extended crank/no start. Possibly giving more time for the cam sensor signal? Hopefully this takes care of it. I’m cautiously optimistic .
I'm scheduled for the 20th, Maybe drive it over the weekend Etc and report back what you think.... Not against getting it, unless you see some negative after effects in the next few days.....

Reactions: Steamer861
441 - 460 of 492 Posts