Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
461 - 480 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
My truck is a 2021 that I bought new in late May 2021. I had the TSB PIP5823B flash or re-flash update yesterday. Previously my truck had the "no start" at 4,001 miles and a second time at 7,501 miles. Yesterday at the time of the update I had 8,344 miles on the truck with just the two no starts. As a result of the update it does now crank for a second or so before firing. It is noticeable but not obnoxious. My truck has the stop-start feature. After the update the stop-start feature performs exactly the same as it did before the update and there is no lag at all. My two no starts were fairly far apart compared to many on here. I will post if the no start occurs again after the update. Let's hope for all of us that this is the true fix!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my first no start at 3200 miles on my 2021 Sierra. I'll be scheduling my first oil change soon and will have them do the reprogram at the same time.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Shouldn't have to tell them anything.
When the run the vin at truck arrival, it should tell them all the updates that haven't been done.

And it doesn't have to be at the selling dealer or even a dealer that serviced it previously.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What would a reprogrammed longer initial ignition time do to auto start/stop restarts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am at 14k miles, had the update at around 10k, No issues yet. Like I said earlier post, It cranks a few seconds longer to get a better reading from a sensor or to build pressure ..2021 RST, Also have 03 2500, 06 3500 dually, 08 3500 SRW, 12 2500, 17 2500, 15 f250 gas, 16 f350 6.7....

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
What would a reprogrammed longer initial ignition time do to auto start/stop restarts?
Just spitballin' .....

It's seems that most of the failed start attempts are followed by a successful start on the 2nd try -- so that indicates that they are eventually passing the check for a signal.
The ECM isn't going to run the engine without a signal from the cam. (same with electronic gas engines)

It would seem likely that after it cranks and before it fires and injector that it verifies the cam signal. (same with gas engines)
In an effort to wake up the computers/crank/check/start quickly that they likely made the time 'window' for checking for signals short.
The bend wheel on some cams, and the shimming of some cam sensors (on some trucks) were likely also things that needed to be fixed (on some trucks) but as we now know not the only possible issue.

During the second start attempt the computers/electronics would already be awake.

I'd expect they changed the programming to permit a longer check period before deciding there is not a signal -- rather than always making it longer.
Of course that leads to the question of why does it crank so long before time-out?

I'd certainly like to know the details of the change in logic provided by the update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just happened to me for the 2nd and 3rd time back to back. Got me stranded at the store. Dealers says there is a software update for it.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Just happened to me for the 2nd and 3rd time back to back. Got me stranded at the store. Dealers says there is a software update for it.
Stranded.
So you're saying it wouldn't start after multiple attempts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I think I found a pattern on mine. I've had this happen about 25 times since I got it in March, but I started noticing something after it happened a few weeks ago and an error came up on my dash. Every time I get the crank/no start problem, my steering wheel is locked with absolutely no movement.

Several weeks ago I had the problem happen and then a 'Service Steering Wheel Lock' error came up on my dash after it started on the second try. I had noticed the wheel was locked a few times before but I couldn't confirm it was like this every time I had the problem before. Since I got that error, I've been actively checking the steering wheel and it's always locked with some resistance pushing against the lock. It's as is the steering wheel lock is causing a malfunction with the computer.

Has anyone else checked their steering wheel when the truck just cranks? Is it slightly loose/not fully locked, or is it fully locked with no movement?

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I'm about to purchase a 2020 LM2. So, has this been resolved or it's still in the air with GM?

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I'm about to purchase a 2020 LM2. So, has this been resolved or it's still in the air with GM?
The programming update has only been out for a few weeks, so it is probably to soon to as for sure.

FWIW, they haven't yet announced that they are restarting production of the 3.0L.

I've posted this before, but mine was ordered and built Oct 21. It's now over 15,000 miles -- and hasn't missed a start yet.

Reactions: Stbentoak

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve seen on FB guys post videos of their trucks not start but then start on the second attempt, doesn’t seem to be a constant just a one off.
I have had this happen a couple of times. Always starts with remote start but sometimes just cranks when I try to start with inside button

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I have had this happen a couple of times. Always starts with remote start but sometimes just cranks when I try to start with inside button
I think that is just a coincidence.

Remote and button both just send a signal to the BCM to initiate a start sequence.
BCM 'manages' the start using either method.

You can just briefly 'bump' the start switch to send a signal, just like briefly pressing 'crank' on the remote.

It has not been necessary to hold the key or button for many years.

Reactions: Angry Beaver

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the update yesterday noticed it cranks little longer before it starts but fine with me if this non sense is done. We will see the texh said this is the fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got the update yesterday noticed it cranks little longer before it starts but fine with me if this non sense is done. We will see the texh said this is the fix.
The thing that sucks is that you could go 15,000 miles without seeing it happen again, and then it happens. Let's hope this one is it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My truck is a 2021 that I bought new in late May 2021. I had the TSB PIP5823B flash or re-flash update yesterday. Previously my truck had the "no start" at 4,001 miles and a second time at 7,501 miles. Yesterday at the time of the update I had 8,344 miles on the truck with just the two no starts. As a result of the update it does now crank for a second or so before firing. It is noticeable but not obnoxious. My truck has the stop-start feature. After the update the stop-start feature performs exactly the same as it did before the update and there is no lag at all. My two no starts were fairly far apart compared to many on here. I will post if the no start occurs again after the update. Let's hope for all of us that this is the true fix!
can you tell me is yours the 3L duramax?

461 - 480 of 492 Posts