Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you dudes have changes out your own fuel filter on the 3.0, mine is at 35% so getting close. Probably change mine at about 22K, was thinking of taking to dealer so I know it is done right...(hopefully) and no warranty issues down the road, but i am sure it is a rip off for the labor charge?

· Registered
21 RST/Z71 CC/SB LM2 Summit White
73 Posts
I am only at 14.5K so I am not there yet, I am doing it all myself when the time comes, I just buy OEM parts from RockAuto and keep receipts in case needed for warranty issue if it arises. Nobody cares about the quality of work that goes into a vehicle like the owner IMHO.

Reactions: McSpeed

· Registered
7,843 Posts
Same filter on 3.0 and 6.6.
Of course 6.6 uses lots more fuel.

Recommended
  • 22k max on 6.6, 30k max on 3.0
  • 2 years max on either
  • or if the fuel filter minder indicates change earlier

Reactions: RandyH

· Registered
48 Posts
I did and it's a piece of cake. If you have a 36mm 6-point socket or are just careful not to round off the hex drive on the end of the housing you shouldn't have a problem. Mine was pretty tight and the housing is plastic. With the new filter installed you just cycle the key a few times to prime it and it's done. Like Grover67 said there are youtube videos that cover it really well.

The only issue I had was resetting the countdown on the truck and I think it was because I was trying to do it with the truck running and it needs to be off.

· Registered
7,843 Posts
The only issue I had was resetting the countdown on the truck and I think it was because I was trying to do it with the truck running and it needs to be off.
Interesting that the owners manual doesn't indicate it needs to be off to get it to reset...
Just says' hold the thumbwheel for 2 seconds when fuel filter life remaining' is displayed.

· Registered
48 Posts
Interesting that the owners manual doesn't indicate it needs to be off to get it to reset...
Just says' hold the thumbwheel for 2 seconds when fuel filter life remaining' is displayed.
OK, it's been awhile and I'm not getting any younger; I may have made a mistake and the truck had to be running. I did it at the same time I changed the oil and it reset but the fuel filter wouldn't until I either shut the truck off or started it.

Sorry for the confusion.

· Registered
275 Posts
I change mine every other oil change. Cheap insurance as the filter is the only thing between you and an expensive high pressure fuel pump.... One bad tank of fuel could eat up 25% of its capacity pretty easily...

· Registered
73 Posts
Can someone please break down the priming procedure after new filter is installed? not sure I understand what dude in above video is saying?
He, and GM are saying that once the filter change is complete, press the start button with foot off brake, the truck will power up for accessory mode and run the fuel pump to purge the air and fill the filter, let run for about 30 seconds, then press the start button again for a second and it will shut off. I would perform this procedure at least twice since it can't hurt and you are more certain to get any air out of the fueling system.

· Registered
73 Posts
From the manual...

Priming the Fuel System
There is an electric priming pump that will
bring fuel to the engine and eliminate air in
the fuel lines. To prime the engine:

1. Correct any condition that caused the
loss of prime.

2. Turn the ignition on for 30 seconds. Do
not start the engine. The fuel pump will
start priming.

3. Turn the ignition off, then back on, and
crank the engine for 15 seconds.

4. If the engine does not start, repeat
Steps 2 and 3 until the engine starts.
If the engine does not start after
repeating Steps 2 and 3 three times, turn
the ignition off for 60 seconds.

5. Repeat the above steps until the engine
starts.

6. If the engine starts, but does not run
smoothly, increase the engine speed
slightly.

7. If the engine starts and runs but stalls
again, turn the ignition off for
60 seconds.

8. When the engine starts, let it idle for a
few minutes and check the filter for any
leaks.

· Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
1,434 Posts

This should also help with any questions you may have and how to properly remove/replace the filter. Ignore the part later in the tech link about re-routing lines to purge the system of debris. That is only for know contamination of the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts