Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Looking at a 2022 Silverado 3500 HD dual rear wheel and the only thing I'm hesitant on is the 3.42 rear axel. I will be towing my bumper pull 32' toy hauler (7,500 dry weight) and will be purchasing a new goose neck three horse trailer with living quarters in the near future (30-35 feet). Live in the flat part of Ohio but not wanting to limit myself with a crap rear axel. Should I keep looking or will the 3:42 rear end work?
You don't need more rear end than that for 7500#. I have a chevy but just bought an F250. They all come w/ 3:31. It pulls 14,000 lb w/ no problem. I was surprised at the ratio. I figured the
standard would be 3:73 but no. BTW The Ford Cab & Chassis come w/ variety up to 4:10, 4:30. & 4:88. You wouldn't want to buy the fuel for those. My Ford gets 4 mpg better than chevy on the road-real mpg, not fantasy

· Registered
2 Posts
I would really like anyone defending the 10 speed transmission with 3.42 gearing, to explain to me why my new truck is gutless with or without a trailer? Noticeably slower to the point which I'm scared to pass people pulling a trailer on a single lane highway. I have been a long standing Chevy guy but after having my truck 3 months I have been looking at Ford's. This is a serious regression for Chev/gm. Maybe if it had better fuel economy there would be a trade off having a slump of a truck. But my mileage is 20-30% worse than the l5p with the 6 speed and 3.73s. might I also ad they have shutters which is supposed to increase fuel economy. How is this even possible? My new truck gets the same mileage as my 6.0 suburban 2500 pulling my 30' you hauler. I really regret buying this junk.

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
I would really like anyone defending the 10 speed transmission to explain to me why my new truck is gutless with or without a trailer? Noticeably slower to the point which I'm scared to pass people pulling a trailer on a single lane highway. I have been a long standing Chevy guy but after having my truck 3 months I have been looking at Ford's. This is a serious regression for Chev/gm. Maybe if it had better fuel economy there would be a trade off having a slump of a truck. But my mileage is 20-30% worse than the l5p with the 6 speed and 3.73s. might I also ad they have shutters which is supposed to increase fuel economy. How is this even possible? My new truck gets the same mileage as my 6.0 suburban 2500 pulling my 30' you hauler. I really regret buying this junk.
Then get a pedal monster or sell it.

· Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
1,423 Posts
I would really like anyone defending the 10 speed transmission to explain to me why my new truck is gutless with or without a trailer? Noticeably slower to the point which I'm scared to pass people pulling a trailer on a single lane highway. I have been a long standing Chevy guy but after having my truck 3 months I have been looking at Ford's. This is a serious regression for Chev/gm. Maybe if it had better fuel economy there would be a trade off having a slump of a truck. But my mileage is 20-30% worse than the l5p with the 6 speed and 3.73s. might I also ad they have shutters which is supposed to increase fuel economy. How is this even possible? My new truck gets the same mileage as my 6.0 suburban 2500 pulling my 30' you hauler. I really regret buying this junk.
Sounds like you may wanna get your truck looked at. My 3500 is impressively quick for an 8k+ truck and tows like a dream.

Watch the video ford/dodge/chevy fall within a 1/2 second of each other with the Dodge being the slowest. I would imagine a 3500 cummins H.O. would be more competitive then the 2500 standard output.

Chevrolet 10spd locks torque converter in every gear including first and applies full torque in first, this keeps the tranny much much cooler than the Ford and the reason I didn't buy a ford.

Do your research. if you want it to be a snappier driving experience add the banks pedal monster. I your hauling livestock of any and don't wanna break legs keep it smooth and stock.

I lost 1 mpg +\- with the new Chevrolet vs my 07 cummins, fully expected that and pleased it wasn't any greater difference with the massive increase in power.

Reactions: sambor

· Registered
2015.5 Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW
1,343 Posts
These trucks are GARBAGE dump it ASAP!

Reactions: Irock

· Registered
2 Posts
I want towing capability. This is why I have a one ton diesel. I have also owned every generation of duramax, except the LLY. I can't for the life of me get close to 1000kms to a tank with this one. 1300kms plus was a regular occurrence with my previous truck. I actually phoned the dealership and asked if I could return it. The L5P cant really be compared to an 07 dodge. I am direct comparing them L5P to L5P with changes to the powertrain. I have contemplated changing the gearing, but the truck seems to de-fuel for a seemless shift more that it is applying throttle. Lovely 10 speed. Lowering final drive ratio won't change that. I am looking up this banks pedal monster right now.

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
I want towing capability. This is why I have a one ton diesel. I have also owned every generation of duramax, except the LLY. I can't for the life of me get close to 1000kms to a tank with this one. 1300kms plus was a regular occurrence with my previous truck. I actually phoned the dealership and asked if I could return it. The L5P cant really be compared to an 07 dodge. I am direct comparing them L5P to L5P with changes to the powertrain. I have contemplated changing the gearing, but the truck seems to de-fuel for a seemless shift more that it is applying throttle. Lovely 10 speed. Lowering final drive ratio won't change that. I am looking up this banks pedal monster right now.
Sounds like a pretty easy decision for you, then. The used car market is still on the up, sell now before it comes down and buy something that makes you happy.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts