Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried to save a few bucks and just had a local muffler shop replace my muffler with straight pipe instead of going with an aftermarket full turbo back exhaust. It's not giving me the sound I was hoping for so now I'm looking at getting a front pipe to get rid of the cat. If I go this route (which will essentially be a 3.5 inch straight pipe from the turbo back) am I going to be giving up any noticable horsepower/performance to an aftermarket turbo back system? I'm not planning on big horsepower in the near future, probably just going to add a programmer on top of this exhaust. $100 for a cat pipe and a fast easy install seems like it might be a better idea than $500+ for a turbo back setup.

I use my truck for commuting and the occasional camping trailer (about 8K) tow.

Anyone know where any LBZ exhaust dyno charts could be found? I haven't had any luck finding any third party numbers.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
a 4" T/B exhaust will do every thing you need and will add extra tone and hp to the truck but if you want more tone go with the 5" T/B..

·
Registered
181 Posts
The LLY and LBZ still like to see a little back pressure in the exhaust to help the bottom end performance. If you eliminate the cat and the muffler and especially if you go to a cold air intake when you get hard on the throttle you will most likely se your check engine light.

A good 4" turbo back system is going to give you great bottom end performance and have a great sound. We have complete stainless kits for less than what you mentioned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my question is would it be worth it to pay for a complete turbo back kit when, as it is, I could just remove the cat and have a turbo back straight piped exhaust that is 3.5."

I'm thinking not, most kits i've seen indicate something around 20RWHP gain, I probably got a few removing the muffler so really I'd be paying for a full exhaust for an extra 10hp....

although a nice stainless setup would look much better......:cool

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
if you plan on only running a few extra hp on the truck i would do the straight using the stock pipe..

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have an LB7 and got a 4" straight pipe from Pinnacle Power Exhaust in Wy. and i love it and it only cost $250. i thought it was very reasonable for a complete turbo back system. love that straight pipe. just my opinion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts