Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 6.6L LBZ Duramax Dually 2WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased this 300 AMP High capacity alternator for my 2006 3500 6.6L LBZ Duramax, does anyone have any tips on belt size, any special concerns with fuse links etc.. would really appreciate any assistance.. My intent is to charge my truck batteries and Camper batteries when on the road, this would be four in total, using this alternator! all batteries are deep cycle wet cells.. thanks
Mike

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Compare the pulley size of the 300A alternator to your existing unit. If the same diameter, you could use the same belt.

Reactions: Mike-B

·
Registered
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Banks Super Scoop, Banks Rear Dif Cover, Mechman 320A alternator, S&B fuel tank
122 Posts
Not sure about that one, I've got a 320 amp Mechman in my 03. You need to upgrade the cable from the alternator to use it, the factory one is 6 gauge I believe. They recomend a 1/0 cable and a 400 amp fuse, similar upgrades for the ground.

The factory cable is like 25 or 26 inches long. I used a 24 in replacement and it barely fits. If I were to do it again I'd have made my own longer cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Compare the pulley size of the 300A alternator to your existing unit. If the same diameter, you could use the same belt.
Thanks, I sent an email to the manufacture and they said I might need a one size smaller belt.. so I'm thinking the pully is smaller..(haven't received it yet).. I'm not to keen on having my alternator run faster to get higher output.. it also would mean it could wear out faster.. at any rate I'll check that out when it gets here. I hear you concerning the cable AWG size.. I'm running flexible welding wire for my camper batteries and the truck is mostly stock wiring.. I;ll have to make sure it's heavy enough to supply the current for charging.. I don't want to over or under do it!.
thanks for your response!

·
Registered
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Banks Super Scoop, Banks Rear Dif Cover, Mechman 320A alternator, S&B fuel tank
122 Posts
Mechman says you may need a 1 inch smaller belt with theirs, I didn't need one. There is a ton of take up in the tensioner and it's still plenty taut.
I'd try it and see how it fits before getting another belt.

I wouldn't worry too much about spinning it a little faster, remember these same alternators are used on the gassers that are running a few thousand more RPM more than the diesel going down the highway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mechman says you may need a 1 inch smaller belt with theirs, I didn't need one. There is a ton of take up in the tensioner and it's still plenty taut.
I'd try it and see how it fits before getting another belt.

I wouldn't worry too much about spinning it a little faster, remember these same alternators are used on the gassers that are running a few thousand more RPM more than the diesel going down the highway.
Thanks for the advice!! I have a few things to check out.. I didn't realize not only the pulley size is different but the OEM has a clutch pulley, which is supposed to save belt wear and give better efficiency!! I've really got to think this thing through!

·
Registered
122 Posts
You've already bought it, get some cables, slap it in there and see how it goes.
Worst case scenario you can put the OEM unit back in and upgrading the cable and grounds isn't a bad thing regardless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts