Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i have read several forums on guys asking which size of the two tire sizes to get...i have had 2 sets of 285s and they seem to be perfect but i wanna go bigger (of coarse) so what do you guys think? pics of 305s? i plan on using the factory rims for now.....but rims are always an option...also would a leveling kit/ blocks be necessary? SOME trimming is also ok but i dont wanna hack off half my front bumber....thanks guys :drink

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
First off...I def. wouldn't put 305's on stock wheels.....just for safety reasons. You are going from an 11.2 inch width to a 12 inch width, which at full turn will more than likely rub a bit on the back of the wheel well. If you got aftermarket wheels and a leveling kit, you could fit them with minor trimming, but you would need to get the correct offset. I would suggest calling Discount Tire Direct and seeing what they can do for you.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Found this thread, and for those of you that think that 285's-305's can safely be mounted on stock rims need to read. The factory rim is only 6.5" wide, and there is not 1 tire manufacture out there that recommends a 285 or 305 tire on that narrow of a rim. I just hope family is not riding next to you guys when they do eventually fail:cool:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/wheels-tires/8583-danger-big-tires-oem-wheels.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
I run BFG 305's on my stock wheels without any problems. You have to trim some plastic and raise the bars some for 285's and 305's. I like the width of the 305 better and when I get some wheels they fill out the wheels nicely. I have 17" factory wheels.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How wide of a tire on H2s?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i know what you mean about the 6.5 inch rim thats the only real hold back on getting 305s......as for the H2s my buddy has 315s on a 1500HD with bars cranked very minor rubbing....i was also considering that option too but idk if i like the h2 rim THAT much plus buying tires for a 17" rim blows

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Here is an older pic of mine with 305's. I have no rubbing issues at all. These are 16" wheels BTW.

Also the front bumper is trimmed. I can get pictures of this if needed. Without the bumper being trimmed the wheels would hit.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha i know i hear ya im really considering the H2s anyone got any pics? im thinking of painting the black and getting the NBS chrome centers....

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
305s and 285s are the same size exactly the 305's are just a little wider. I don't care what anyone says I've run 315's on the stock rims and never had a problem. If anything the truck was more stable. Amd I beat on my truck trust me

·
Registered
687 Posts
305s and 285ss are NOT the same size. Tire sizes are calculated as such: the 3 digit number mostly talked about (265, 285, 305, etc) is the width of the tire in millimeters. The 2 digit number (75, 65, 50, etc) is the ratio of the width of the tire to the sidewall height. For instance a 285/75R16 is a tire with a 285mm width and the sidewall height is 75% of the width or about 214mm. Of course the last 2 numbers are the rim size in diameter.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
305s and 285ss are NOT the same size. Tire sizes are calculated as such: the 3 digit number mostly talked about (265, 285, 305, etc) is the width of the tire in millimeters. The 2 digit number (75, 65, 50, etc) is the ratio of the width of the tire to the sidewall height. For instance a 285/75R16 is a tire with a 285mm width and the sidewall height is 75% of the width or about 214mm. Of course the last 2 numbers are the rim size in diameter.

285/75/16 and 305/70/16 are EXACTLY the same HEIGHT

·
Registered
687 Posts
305s and 285s are the same size exactly the 305's are just a little wider.
That's not what you said in this post. You said nothing about the ratio (70 vs 75)

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,024 Posts
Here's a pic of my H2s with 33x12.50s. I had 285/16s before, and I don't rub at all. Minor trimming of plastic, already done with the 285s

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats perfect exactly what i want my truck to look like... i know most H2s you can find on craigslist with 315s and i know with some trimming those will fit...they come out to be 34.4 x 12.4 so thats pretty cool with me haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts