Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a guy selling his '08 Sierra 3500 SLT with 350k. Made me wonder what goes wrong at this point. :poke[1]: Engine, Injectors, trans...everything...lol

Truck is not stock, EFIlive, exhaust and intake and stays on lv5 :cookoo[1]: though he claims it's just for the improved fuel economy, though I thought that was lv3. Guess it all depends.

Looking forward to hearing from the guys with high mileage LMM's going strong, or ones that suffered a horrific, painful and dramatic failure.

Is such a truck even worth buying, if so how much? 14k, 15k....10k?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sigh...the logical side of me says run son and wait until you find one with under 200k, but I have missed out on so many frikkin deals and it's a good looking truck, so the car/truck guy side is saying, "hey it runs great now...hopefully the head gasket$3k or the injectors $2k won' crap out on me."
It would definitely be a daily driver. We are arguing back and forth now between 14k and 15k. Really want to give him 10k cash and leave it at that...lol

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
all gonna depend on how well it was maintained

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, very true, but he bought it when it had 200k, it lost its dpf stuff at 100k and its been running efi live for the last 148k mile at least.

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
i wouldnt be scared of it. take your time checking it out.

edit - arent a set of injectors more than 2K? IDK still on originals here.

·
Registered
802 Posts
14k or 15k is way too much for any truck with that milage on it. Regardless if its a Daramax or a Cummins.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's why I come here, to get a reality check. So be it, I will let her ride.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
He just wants to much. There was an LLY on here that went for 17k with only 70k miles...350k miles is a lot to be asking 15k

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Has anything been replaced? I know Chevor has the most miles out of any LMM almost 500,000 and he replaced his entire fuel system IMO on a whim for a minor problem... But if he won't take 10k cash I'd walk...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the cv axle boot was replaced on the front, glow plug and bearing for the 2pc drive shaft. I guess what bothers me most is the lv 5 setting it stays on.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Yea I hear ya... If all the emissions have been deleted then just do a good look over, and an oil analysis and make your decision. Go with your gut

·
Registered
266 Posts
IMO I wouldn't pay over 10k cash, even then I'd be careful with that many miles there's a lot that can go wrong especially if he's had any kind of tune for that many miles. It also depends if it was a kid driving it or not if it was you know that he probably did the deletes for power and to screw around. Just look it over close and good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well he made it clear he will not go less than $15k. Very cool guy though, and you know your talking to a car/truck guy when you spend an hour on the phone talking about a vehicle. My gut says relax and wait for another SLT or LTZ 3500 but they are hard to come by. I could have bought a 3500 with under 200k and no deletes for 15k, but I really like the trucks with the suv console and leather. Almost tempted to post a wanted ad for my truck. However those prices are on the other end of the spectrum...lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
FWIW, I get the best mileage on a 180hp setting... 100hp piggyback and 80hp efi tune.

gain 2-3mpg in the city and highway with it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I paid $14k for mine with 300k miles. The miles didn't bother me since I felt that the price was low enough that I could afford to fix things if they broke. I want a built trans anyway and the maint history was well documented. Depending on the condition and options I don't think he is $5k high, maybe $2k -$3k. The exhaust and tuned cost me $1k to add after I bought it.

It all comes down to how well it was maintained, is it in great condition, are you doing your own repairs, wand is it exactly what you want. If you start saying I wish it had a sunroof, and leather, and heated seats, etc then I would pass on a truck with that many miles because it will be hard to sell to get what you want later.

I took the bluebook value of my truck with 150k miles, subtracted the cost of a junkyard engine with 150k miles, the cost of replacing the front suspension components, and rebuilding the transfer case. I still came out ahead and got what I wanted. If I don't have to replace the engine for another couple of years I am way ahead.

I would check it out very closely and if it.looks good tell him to give you a call if he decides to come down to $13k. Remember that a truck with 150k miles can have all the same parts go bad too. Not as likely but how it was maintained can make a world of difference.

YMMV
GP

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I paid $14k for mine with 300k miles. The miles didn't bother me since I felt that the price was low enough that I could afford to fix things if they broke. I want a built trans anyway and the maint history was well documented. Depending on the condition and options I don't think he is $5k high, maybe $2k -$3k. The exhaust and tuned cost me $1k to add after I bought it.

It all comes down to how well it was maintained, is it in great condition, are you doing your own repairs, wand is it exactly what you want. If you start saying I wish it had a sunroof, and leather, and heated seats, etc then I would pass on a truck with that many miles because it will be hard to sell to get what you want later.

I took the bluebook value of my truck with 150k miles, subtracted the cost of a junkyard engine with 150k miles, the cost of replacing the front suspension components, and rebuilding the transfer case. I still came out ahead and got what I wanted. If I don't have to replace the engine for another couple of years I am way ahead.

I would check it out very closely and if it.looks good tell him to give you a call if he decides to come down to $13k. Remember that a truck with 150k miles can have all the same parts go bad too. Not as likely but how it was maintained can make a world of difference.

YMMV
GP
I understand bro and the truck is exactly what I want minus the high mileage. Only thing missing is the nav, ent pckg and sunroof. I can add nav later and despise sunroofs in trucks...lol. He won't budge from 15k and my budget is 20k so maybe I will find something with 100k less miles with the same features. Nothing moves more than a black GMC Sierra 3500HD though...lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
I understand bro and the truck is exactly what I want minus the high mileage. Only thing missing is the nav, ent pckg and sunroof. I can add nav later and despise sunroofs in trucks...lol. He won't budge from 15k and my budget is 20k so maybe I will find something with 100k less miles with the same features. Nothing moves more than a black GMC Sierra 3500HD though...lol
I agree on the sunroof. Mine had the factory NAV and RSE. I would have prefered the 3500 but the 2500 will do what I need it to do. I looked for a lower mileage LMM LTZ for a while but never saw anything with less than 200k for less than $25k with what I wanted. I am sure that they can be found but you had better be fast and have cash. Best wishes on your search.

GP

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks bro. If it's one thing I have is patience. Just sucks driving my Corvette (since my dually burnt to the ground in Tampa) as my DD, thing is over cammed an just plain unpleasant to drive 60 miles a day...lol. If you come across an LBZ or SLT 3500 HD, shoot me a pm and thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts