Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those living under a rock gm has anounced the release of the 4.5l duramax engine in the 2010 model year trucks and suv's the numbers right now are 310hp and 540lbft after looking at pictures and reading some specs it seems that the turbo sits in the middle of the intake valley with exhaust port coming out in the center of the engine where the intake ports are normally and the intake ports are integrated into the valve covers. the overall packages is toughted to be close to the same demensions as a 5.3l i would guess the fuel mileage to be around 23-27mpg highway still don't know if the engine is an gm or izusu. no matter for the people that buy diesel trucks just for fuel mileage this will be a godsend. just think an engine with more power and tourqe than the old lb7 in a truck that wieghs 2/3rds of a 3/4 or 1ton chev one word AWSOME!!!!:rockin

·
Registered
68 Posts
maybe im stupid but im wondering how a 4.5 could out perform todays 6.6 besides in gas mileage

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the engine is only for 1/2 ton vehicles. the 3/4 and one ton vehicles are rumored to be getting a larger dmax 6.9l from what i hear. to jackh i didn't say new duramax i said lb7

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have read the news release about the introduction of the 4.5L. I understood it would be availabe in '09 models. Is this right or wrong?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the offical release date from the gm edge newsletter is 2010 model year so late 09 i imagine so.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if any one has any more info on the 4.5 or the rumored 6.9 feel free to post

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just for the 4.5 or all dmaxs? if there ditching the allison they better have the grand daddy of all tranys, even if the new tranny has a higher tourqe capacity its going to be hard to sell due to the rep the allison has but you never know could be just a rumor too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope they dont ditch allison!! It probably won't be an allison behind the 4.5L anyway. Be nice, but we couldn't be that lucky!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't wait!

I'm actually hoping to source one of these engines, and a transmission for swap into my truck. If it's genuinely about the size of the 5.3, it should prove to be AMPLE power, and actually fit in my engine compartment.

Now to wait for some yahoo to buy a tahoe, and then wrap it around a tree, so I can buy it salvage and give the drivetrain a better home.. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
gm sold allison......for their medium duty pickups. You will still be able to buy a allison for your 3/4 and 1 tons.

Can you imagine have 540 ft lbs on tap on a 1/2 ton. That will be a little speed racer. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts