Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Chevy with everything factory and I am wanting to put a 4" straight exhaust on it. Will it bolt directly to the factory down pipe or do i have to change it out. What are some good exhaust kits to use.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
You can get them that will fit the stock down pipe, you will get differed opinions on what is the best exhaust.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,557 Posts
They will clamp directly on to the original down pipe, you don't have to change it.

Like @mray said, you will get LOTS of different opinions on exhaust. I've put a few different brands on- MBRP, Diamond Eye, FlowPro, MagnaFlow-both 4" and 5". Of all the kits I have put on, I feel like the best fitting and easiest installing kits have been MagnaFlow. Whatever you do-don't do Diamond Eye duals-biggest pain in the ass I've ever had exhaust-wise. But, I put so much time into making it fit and level out perfectly, so that might have been partly self-induced 'dunno;

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. I was planning on going with a Magna Flow or a Banks and it would only be 1 pipe not duels.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I have a 2001 Chevy with everything factory and I am wanting to put a 4" straight exhaust on it. Will it bolt directly to the factory down pipe or do i have to change it out. What are some good exhaust kits to use.
Depends on the kit you get, for an 01, they should all bolt up unless you buy a 15+ kit with the flange. Your options are probably going to be limited by the EPA crackdown, i have a MBRP kit, and while its not amazing, it does what it needs to do, and for a fair price. I have heard the flo pro kits are better, but there also hard to find right now.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have a 5" MBRP kit with a muffler (very little drone on the highway). Bolted up and hit all of the factory hangers without any issues. I did switch to a overlap band clamps since the ones that came with it ("u" style clamp) are not the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently had a Banks 4" put on my truck and the shop that did the work exclaimed the mechanic putting the kit in did not cuss once. Apparently it fit my 2002 like it was made for it. I was able to speak to the mechanic and he stated the parts went together well. No struggle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts