Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im think im going to try and install my 4 inch MBRP straight pipe tonight after work. Is there anything I need to know or any suggestions? how much beer should i buy for this project?:drink[1]:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
The hardest part is getting the stock exhaust off and that is not too bad.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it installed finally. good thing i bought a 12 pack, 6 beers wouldnt have done the job. The stock exhaust is a SOB. I had to cut it in a couple different places to get it removed, but after that it was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im looking to do the same thing.
are you doing DP back? thats what i want to do.
how much was the mbrp you got?
mine was a DP back straight system. love it so far. I bought mine from Jesse at Husker Diesel for less than what i expected. He was a very straight forward guy and set me up. couldnt be happier. give him a call and he will get you going.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
182 Posts
mine was a DP back straight system. love it so far. I bought mine from Jesse at Husker Diesel for less than what i expected. He was a very straight forward guy and set me up. couldnt be happier. give him a call and he will get you going.
sorry for dumb questions but what tools did you need? did you have to weld anything?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt have to weld anything, every piece is bolted on. used a 11mm deep well socket to take of the band clamp that connected the front pipe to the down pipe, 15 mm for all the bolts on the MBRP exhaust, and a grinder with cutting wheel to remove the stock exhaust. if you can remove the unbolt the flange that secures the two pipes of the stock exhaust together, you probably wont have to cut anything to remove it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I installed mine myself and it was easy. The hardest part was getting the factory one out without cutting it. Afterwards, I took it to a muffler shop and they welded it for me and extended some hangers. Not necessary, but made me feel better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How you like the exhaust?
Love it so far. My only complaint i have about my set up is the tip sticks out a little too far and i had to using baling wire to secure the tail pipe. without the wire the tail pipe had a lot of give and wobbles around a lot.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Really? Mine doesnt. Did you get your clamps tight enough? Might want to go back and re snug them up. I waited 1000 miles then checked my clamps again also just to make sure. You can also cut the end of the exhaust so the tip doesnt come out as far.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i tightened the hell out of them. i think it just needs another hanger at the end somewhere to snug it up. who knows, i may mixed hangers around or something small like that. i think i might cut an inch or so off the tail pipe to bring the tip in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts