Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 D-Max is showing 4lbs. boost at an idle on my outlook monitor and at the dealer on their instruments. They suggested replacing the fuel pressure regulator. So I let them do it. $1200.00 down the crapper!!! Someone else suggested that it might be the MAP sensor. So I replaced it. $120.00 down the crapper!! Does anyone KNOW whats going on? Could the turbo wastegate be malfunctioning and holding back pressure? Going down the highway I,ve hit 34 lbs. of boost on a regular basis. Then the S.E.S. light comes on and she goes into limp mode with a 1900 RPM max until I pull over and turn off the light. The code is "engine overboost".
I,m using the Bully Dog Triple Dog with Outlook monitor, K&N filter, 5" exhaust. I leave the box on its lowest setting just above stock.
Anyone been through this?????????????????::help

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
DId the dealer check it with the outlook moniter still hooked up? If so i would remove it. How are you seeing 34 psi do you have the wastegate valved or blocked?

·
Registered
71 Posts
a buddy of mine had the same set-up on his 01 and his truck was reading 4lbs of boost at idle as well the bully dog fried his computer 2 weeks later so i would throw the bully dog junk out and get efi live or ppe.
Tom

·
3,162 Posts
I wouldnt say get rid of the tuner as much as i would say get rid of the outlok and get some gauges!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason I didnt think it was the Bully Dog was because the dealer got the same readings with the Bully dog and outlook off of the truck.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
My powerpup would thow overboost codes too. (I know it is not the same programmer exactly) Since I started using the predator, I haven't had any problems. Maybe see if the dealer can reflash your PCM. Sounds like a programming thing. Obviously, you will want to have your truck set to stock when you do this. There might be an update that you didn't get.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alaska????

What part of Alaska? I,m heading up to Petersburg for 6 weeks on the 18th.
Suposidly the dealer did flash the computer two weeks ago and I had the BD program out of the truck. I,ve got a 1500 mile run to start on tuesday pulling about 17,000. I,m going to take the programmer with me so if it starts to [email protected]#k up I,ll put her back to stock. After running a programmer stock will suck!:mad:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I had a customer with a Dodge with an Outlook that woul show 2-3 lbs of boost at idle. bully Dog told us that is the MAP sensor reading the atmospheric pressure. Only way to know if its wrong or not would to be to check it with a mechanical gauge of enough sensitivity to sense 4 lbs. Most boost gauges are 30# or more, so they aren't very exact at the real low pressures. You need like a 10# gauge, and see if you notice a difference on the gauge between off and idle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I first got the Bully Dog and Outlook it would read zero boost at an idle so I dont think atmospheric pressure is what its reading now. As a matter of fact it reads 4 lbs. boost with the key on and the engine stopped. I told Bully Dog and they had me send the Outlook back to be re-calibrated. It still does the same thing. I had alot better luck with the Edge w/attitude set-up except it would shut the truck down on deceleration.
So is Predator the one to go with?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sheesh. Sounds like the diablo is the way to go for you. Good unit, I have yet to have problems with one. And analog gauges. You really should have gauges to keep an eye on things.

·
3,162 Posts
Sheesh. Sounds like the diablo is the way to go for you. Good unit, I have yet to have problems with one. And analog gauges. You really should have gauges to keep an eye on things.

I'll second that!!!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
What part of Alaska? I,m heading up to Petersburg for 6 weeks on the 18th.
Suposidly the dealer did flash the computer two weeks ago and I had the BD program out of the truck. I,ve got a 1500 mile run to start on tuesday pulling about 17,000. I,m going to take the programmer with me so if it starts to [email protected]#k up I,ll put her back to stock. After running a programmer stock will suck!:mad:

I'm near fairbanks. Hopefully your truck will straighten up. I also agree with the move to predator...I like it and it stacks pretty good with my TST Powermaxx...both are on lower settings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts