Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a quiet exhaust. Videos I have watched are making me think the 5" with muffler is the most quiet option. (this is will be a delete btw) Anyone have experience with Aero mufflers? Would this give me a much more quiet exhaust?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Generally speaking the larger the diameter the louder it is because people tend to use straight through mufflers with aftermarket pipes. If you want quiet you want to stick with stock.

If you just have to throw money at your exhaust then look for a muffler that has baffles inside, not straight through.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Generally speaking the larger the diameter the louder it is because people tend to use straight through mufflers with aftermarket pipes. If you want quiet you want to stick with stock.

If you just have to throw money at your exhaust then look for a muffler that has baffles inside, not straight through.
As one of those people who owns a straight through muffler i can can confirm for you its not quiet.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ultimately you are unlikely to gain enough power from a large exhaust to make any difference other than maybe nosing out your buddy in his totally stock truck. As far as economy goes, it would never pay for itself in a lifetime of use.

Large exhausts work well on highly modified trucks making north of double the stock power and they give you something to bench race about but otherwise they have little value.

Here's some other ideas of thing you could do to your exhaust to make your truck stand out:

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Quiet exhaust with a 4” or 5” there’s no such animal. 'uhNo
Leave the stock cat go straight back open exhaust from the cat back add a 30” FTE resonator/muffler.
Less stink with the cat and less drone with the FTE, aftermarket cats like the Magnaflow does nothing to tone down the stinky exhaust.
4” or 5” back, at this point it won’t matter, 5” might have a little deeper tone.
Mine did with 5” filterless back exhaust with 6” vented tip, compared to 4” back with stock bugle looking tip.

Reactions: mizterwizard

·
Registered
576 Posts
For the price, this 30" muffler is great quality and really quiets down a 4" straight pipe. It is a flow through design, but I can confirm that it took away all drone while cruising. I was very surprised out how much this quieted the truck down. I have never heard this muffler while towing though. For the price of $50, you can't beat it. I am pretty sure it is the exact same muffler MBRP sells for $150.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FJBXPH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
For the price, this 30" muffler is great quality and really quiets down a 4" straight pipe. It is a flow through design, but I can confirm that it took away all drone while cruising. I was very surprised out how much this quieted the truck down. I have never heard this muffler while towing though. For the price of $50, you can't beat it. I am pretty sure it is the exact same muffler MBRP sells for $150.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FJBXPH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That sure looks like what came with my MBRP kit.

·
Registered
576 Posts
That sure looks like what came with my MBRP kit.
Seriously? lol. I was gonna order the MBRP muffler that was $150 but saw one review for it that stated they received an unmarked muffler that looked like the $50 one. So I took a gamble on it and I am glad I did. Truck is almost as quite as stock inside the cab. Not much louder than stock outside. $50 is much better than $150

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Seriously? lol. I was gonna order the MBRP muffler that was $150 but saw one review for it that stated they received an unmarked muffler that looked like the $50 one. So I took a gamble on it and I am glad I did. Truck is almost as quite as stock inside the cab. Not much louder than stock outside. $50 is much better than $150
mine came embossed with an MBRP logo instead of the generic one on that can, but odds are good its the same part just custom ordered with a different die in the assembly process. They look very similar either way. my muffler came with the slits in the ends to go around the pipe, but this is basically what mine looked like out of the box.

·
Registered
576 Posts
mine came embossed with an MBRP logo instead of the generic one on that can, but odds are good its the same part just custom ordered with a different die in the assembly process. They look very similar either way. my muffler came with the slits in the ends to go around the pipe, but this is basically what mine looked like out of the box.

Thats what mine looks like and has the slits as well. Just says UPower lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
When you already have the assembly line powered up and running in your over seas no respect for copyrights or patents factory, whats a few more parts out the back door after the order is done?
I got a quiet muffler for 1/3 the price so I ain't complaining lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts