Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 03, I'm finally looking at doing some mods like I had on my 7.3 PS. First exhaust, but I'm looking for a throaty sound. I put a 4" Jegs on the 7.3 which gave more of a low rumble, but the cost was reasonable.
I've seen sum people say a AFE off road exhaust? Location?
Will the 5 sound deeper and can I use it w/o power mods?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i did a combination of both, 4 and 5. 4" front pipe and 5" after that. since there is no good aftermarket exhaust for a reg cab, its all for a 06 crewcab dually. i also lost the flange and went with the 4-5 adapter. it was kinda a PITA, but i like it.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i have a 5" T/B and i love the sound,it screams under throttle..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a 5" w/o a muffler sounds good? I tried it on the PS and it just did not sound right.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i've noticed a big difference in sound in the lb7 with the old turbo compared to the lly/lbz's with the vvt turbo. the newer trucks sound like a jet taking off, while the lb7's have a deeper sound to them. so a 5'' on a lb7 will sound different than a 5'' on a lly/lbz

·
Registered
35 Posts
So a 5" w/o a muffler sounds good? I tried it on the PS and it just did not sound right.
i suppose its personal preference. personally, i dont like the way it sounds. but there again, i dont like the way any duramax sounds (i do like the duramax better than the cummins though). i think the PS sounds better than any other diesel i have heard when straight piped.

one of the main reasons i went with a 5 is because i couldnt stand buying an aftermarket exhaust that was only 1/2 inch bigger than what i already had. i felt at 1 and a half inches, i got my moneys worth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
5" on LB7

i got an LB7 with a 4" straight pipe and love it. was wondering what it would sound like with a 5" instead of a 4". anyone have a straght piped 5" LB7 tell me what you think and what it sounds like vs. a 4".

·
Registered
71 Posts
i love it is very loud under a load but otherwise quiet i love it! but i pull trailers everyday so it gets very annoying it lowerd my EGT's about 150*.
Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 5 " magnaflow. Love the way it sounds ( turns heads ) but not sure if I have the back pressure that I need.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have to get off my lazy arse and actually put my exhaust on. I have had a MBRP 5" sitting in my garage for 3 months now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts