Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i take my truck out of 4high i put it in Neutral and press the 2wd button then i put in back into gear and when i get 50-100ft down the road my 4wd clunks and drops into 2wd.. it feels like i am hiting a deep sharp pothole. why is it doing this? i should be able to transfer from 4high to 2 on the fly shouldnt i??

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yes you can shift on the fly and t case should let go of 4wd when you lift off the pedal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea thats what i do now... put in reverse go a few feet then drive.. but i still feel something is messed up b/c i dont think i should have to do that

·
Registered
695 Posts
shift on the fly. how many miles are on the t case oil

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
my 2 cents

Yes you can shift on the fly and t case should let go of 4wd when you lift off the pedal.
Right,as a general rule I try to stay under 20 mph also!When everything is in good working order you should let off like he said,hit the button and it'll blink twice and go smoothly.

To the OP........drops put of 4hi???Mine only did that when the chain had pieces braking off[till finally it :trycycle]...Anyhow i would check the Tcase and see if there is indeed fluid and make sure no hole in REAR of transfer case housing..
FYI your Duramax won't pull even in 2wd if case is FUBARED up enough.If you have lost fluid it is either pump rub or the tailshaft seal.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have been baby'n it lately when i go from 2-4 or 4-2. i also have a new issue... my truck is whining it sounds to be coming from under the cab or towards the rear?! possibly both issues are b/c of same problem.. im gonna check it out asap! have any of you heard a weird whine coming from there b4? it goes in and out for a second if i hit the brakes or accelerate

·
Registered
1 Posts
4 wheel drive clunking

hello folks I have a 2004 duramax recently went to use 4wheel drive and due to snowy conditions started to make clunking sound repeatedly really nasty sound no sound in 2wheel drive any ideas and insight will be greatly appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.