Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Duramax and my 4 wheel drive is not working,...while having the truck turned off, if you push the button to engage it,...you'll hear it engaging and the light will turn onto the 4 high button as its supposed to. It just doesn't work and the front wheels dont turn, been stuck already numerous times testin it out unfortunately. If you push the 4 Low button it will function like its in 4 low and geared way down like its supposed to, but like before...front tires are inoperable. Anyone know of any specifics on this or what it may be? Big or small problem? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '00 1500 Z71 acted up once. Sometimes it would shift into 4x4 and sometimes just flash the light like it was trying to shift, then it would go back to 2x4. It ended up being the switch. That was only arond $150.00 to fix. Maybe you'll be lucky and only have a faulty switch. The guys on here are really knowledgeable, and helpful. Someone will have a good answer for ya. Good luck chief!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
sounds like the switch, but it could be the encoder motor too. I had to change the switch on my 01 1500. IIRC the switch cost only about $50 on that one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that sounds promising,... how much would that encoder motor you speak of cost me? I hope your right and it is just the switch thats faulty although it does not blink,...it actually lights up like its working properly and stays lit while in whatever i put it in.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That encoder motor would probably run around 2-300 I am guessing. I have a chiltons for the 1500 and it looked pretty easy. You might want to check that the wires are fully intact too. When was the last time you changed the fluid in your transfer case?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just bought the truck a couple weeks ago, was told that the 4x4 worked. The problems with the truck before I actually bought it was the front tires needed replaced AND most importantly the guages needed replaced/fixed,...so it is making me strongly think the mechanic they sent it to may have a disconnected wire or something of the likings now that you mentioned it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so bad luck came my direction... Needed a new transfer case!! Very unfortunate for me. After labor...taxes...and the replacement its a $1500 deal.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
If you just bought it from a dealer, I would have made them eat that cost. If they refuses, I would have made a complaint with the BBB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts