Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing to ditch the 4" exhaust and go to a 5" and was wondering if anyone had trouble with the exhaust touching the frame anywhere? I know my 4" touches on one cross member. Just wondering if I'm going to have do any cutting and remounting of the hangers?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Are you making your own kit? If you are buying one there should be no cutting or remounting of hangers. My 4" mbrp was not close to the cross member on my lb7.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
For some reason my 5"" just starting rubbing some where. Bad enough I broke a down pipe clamp. I'm gonna figure out where tomorrow.

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
My LBZ 4" is almost touching the cross member, when i shut off the truck i can hear it tap the cross member. Wondering if theres a fix for this? Not much adjustment from the turbo down pipe. Have no leaks now, so i might just live with it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mine is not even close to touching anywhere

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 5" doesn't touch anywhere. At least 1/2" clearance all around. It took about 20 minutes adjusting everything up and down the entire length before the final tightening of the clamps. I still haven't tack welded the pipes together so they won't shift against each other. I didn't tack them at first because I wanted to see if they would shift. Nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixing to ditch the 4" exhaust and go to a 5" and was wondering if anyone had trouble with the exhaust touching the frame anywhere? I know my 4" touches on one cross member. Just wondering if I'm going to have do any cutting and remounting of the hangers?
Today I installed the afe mach 5 pdf delete with 6 inch black tip. Fits absolutely perfect .Only trimmed the pipe as required per the instructions. sounds awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine lightly touches the cross member. First time I just assumed it was everything settling in place, readjusted and tightened and it is touching again. Guess the next step is to readjust and tack weld everything......?

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
All 5" kit with the exception of Magnaflow with use a 4" front pipe. So you can expect it to be positioned like your 4" kit.

We haven't run into any clearance issues a little tweaking can't take care of.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Mine lightly touches the cross member. First time I just assumed it was everything settling in place, readjusted and tightened and it is touching again. Guess the next step is to readjust and tack weld everything......?
Mine was the same way. If you loosen everything up and put a wrench(or something else similar) under the pipe on the crossmember, then re-tighten, it will stay up away from it about a 1/2".

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All 5" kit with the exception of Magnaflow with use a 4" front pipe. So you can expect it to be positioned like your 4" kit.

We haven't run into any clearance issues a little tweaking can't take care of.
So magnaflow uses 5" everything from the downpipe back?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine fits flawless. You just have to adjust it right.

Mike

·
Diesel Junky
1,109 Posts
agrees, just adjust it to your liking

·
Registered
8 Posts
06 LBZ 5inch magnaflow with cat delete pipe, has clearance all around. :thumb good kit.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet thats what I needed to hear thanks guys :drink gonna go with a Magnaflow (had one on my old cummins and really liked it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
you wont be disappointed. that's for sure

1 - 18 of 18 Posts