Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an exhaust that is a full 5". I heard the largest downpipe that can be put on an LBZ is 4" without hitting anything. I plan on putting the MBRP exhaust on and taking out the muffler for a full straight but wondered if anyone knew of a 5" downpipe because they only have a 4" in theirs. Also has anyone seen a 5" dual exhaust setup for the LBZ. Thanks

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The 5" duals aren't going to happen. not unless teh truck is lifted way high, and it will have to be custom fabbed by a shop. The clearance just isn't there. After installing a few 4" duals kits I can tell you its a tight fit for those pipes to make it. As for the 5" downpipe, I don't believe there is one available. Still, awful lot of power can still be made with a 4 downpipe feeding 5" pipes. Straight piped will sound pretty slick in that truck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 4" would be enough for the horsepower I am going to make but I just want the LOUDEST system I can have without using stacks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I didnt figure it would make that big of a difference, I just wanted to make sure that was the biggest out there.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i ran a dual 4" silverline turdo back exhuast on my 05 lly dually,and on my 06 2500HD i put on a single 5" magnaflow turbo back and i it is alot louder under throttle then the dually.i'm lovin it

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
i have the MBRP 5".... a tip tho, put your muffler in backwards, it gives a lot beefer sound. i need to audio clip mine and post it on my site, but it just sounds sick as hell. there are little fins that catch air passing by in a straight tru muffler, such as MBRP and if you turn them around so they catch no air, you still have a muffler for DOT reasons, and it tones the sound to a nice little roar without the "kackle" of the straight pipe. i mean straights were cool on my 85 with a 454, but come on we are not driving ranch rockets here...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like you did good im looking to get a 5inch exhaust but i dunno if i wanna get the strait pipe..but again nice truck

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have the MBRP 5".... a tip tho, put your muffler in backwards, it gives a lot beefer sound. i need to audio clip mine and post it on my site, but it just sounds sick as hell. there are little fins that catch air passing by in a straight tru muffler, such as MBRP and if you turn them around so they catch no air, you still have a muffler for DOT reasons, and it tones the sound to a nice little roar without the "kackle" of the straight pipe. i mean straights were cool on my 85 with a 454, but come on we are not driving ranch rockets here...
Whats wrong with having a straight pipe, i mean who gives a hoot about DOT their not even the ones that would do anything about it.You don't drive a big truck you drive a 3/4 ton pickup. Not to mention the fact that i dont want anything to choke my smoke.:drink

·
Registered
83 Posts
5" Duals

I run 5" Dual Exhaust with 5" Downpipe and 6" Tips. This is however on an LB7 and was custom made. :cool:

Pics of downpipe and duals are in my garage.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Whats wrong with having a straight pipe, i mean who gives a s**t about DOT their not even the ones that would do anything about it.You don't drive a big truck you drive a 3/4 ton pickup. Not to mention the fact that i dont want anything to choke my smoke.:drink
WOW whats with the foul language and hostility.... "choke my smoke"?? so a straight through muffler thats big enough to drop a folgers can through is going to "choke the smoke" Explain to me what that means..... maybe out on the farm you can get away with straight pipes... how is the emission's testing out there?? I sell exhaust systems NOT straight pipes.... so drop the plow and keep on farmin brosef.... OH and that tint you talk about in your "mods" list... what brand is it?? i was really considering some great window tint and wondered if you had some good suggestions...

·
Registered
134 Posts
you're very opinionated so i figured i would be too.Although we all sometimes forget we are in different parts of the world. Like rural to city. however ive never been even questioned about my exhaust and ive been pulled over plenty all over the states. but anyways i had a guy do my windows and i cant remember the name if i seen it i would know it. i want to say it started with a L. Sorry any other questions or if you just have to know. PM me and ill find out for ya. Have a good one.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Calm down fellas, I don't have a straight piped exhaust 1.) because I hate them and 2.) Every dumb hillbilly around me that has a stock truck thinks it's bad ass because they straight piped it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a custom 5" straight off the turbo all the way out angling 45 degrees out the back but i have an lb7 motor.....the guy that did it had to custom fab everything but it sounds mean as it could without stacks!! good luck!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Calm down fellas, I don't have a straight piped exhaust 1.) because I hate them and 2.) Every dumb hillbilly around me that has a stock truck thinks it's bad ass because they straight piped it.
so i take it you're callin me a hillbilly just because i have a straight pipe. You can call me what you want just remember though. If people like me quit their job YOU DONT EAT. think about that one. *******

·
Registered
134 Posts
actually to be completly honest with you i dont even see why you even have a diesel powered truck. Not like those dogs weigh alot.

·
Registered
484 Posts
so i take it you're callin me a hillbilly just because i have a straight pipe. You can call me what you want just remember though. If people like me quit their job YOU DONT EAT. think about that one. *******
Re read my origional post and you will rethink it. I see you have a programmer, I mean guys that just wack their muffler (nothing else) and they think they really got something powerful.I have no issues with farmers, appriciate their work and deal with many of them on a regular basis through my job. And I am a *******! thank you.

actually to be completly honest with you i dont even see why you even have a diesel powered truck. Not like those dogs weigh alot.
Um how about fuel milage, can't get that with a gas C/C and the half tons only have a 4 ft. bed, can't fit a dog box and a tool box. Oh yeah, I'm a huge gearhead, worked on racecars since I was a kid, always been a horsepower nutcase. You can't take a gas truck and make 500 hp with it and still get 18+ mpg hauling dogs across the country. Plus, sled pulling with a diesel truck is just so damn much fun!

Thanks,
Dumb ******* from the Appalachians of PA
:cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re read my origional post and you will rethink it. I see you have a programmer, I mean guys that just wack their muffler (nothing else) and they think they really got something powerful.I have no issues with farmers, appriciate their work and deal with many of them on a regular basis through my job. And I am a *******! thank you.

Um how about fuel milage, can't get that with a gas C/C and the half tons only have a 4 ft. bed, can't fit a dog box and a tool box. Oh yeah, I'm a huge gearhead, worked on racecars since I was a kid, always been a horsepower nutcase. You can't take a gas truck and make 500 hp with it and still get 18+ mpg hauling dogs across the country. Plus, sled pulling with a diesel truck is just so damn much fun!

Thanks,
Dumb ******* from the Appalachians of PA
:cool:
Well put Adam!
:GoodJob

·
Registered
134 Posts
MY APOLOGIES............I Know what you mean by that straight pipe thing. But on the farm you dont take the old exhaust system off of a tractor and put a Banks,Flo-Pro,Silverline,or Magnaflow. You put a chrome straight pipe on it. HAHA.

Thanks,
Dumb Hillbilly Farmer from MIDWEST, USA IN

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
MY APOLOGIES............I Know what you mean by that straight pipe thing. But on the farm you dont take the old exhaust system off of a tractor and put a Banks,Flo-Pro,Silverline,or Magnaflow. You put a chrome straight pipe on it. HAHA.

Thanks,
Dumb Hillbilly Farmer from MIDWEST, USA IN
i tried the straight pipe on my trucks but i didn't like the whistle so i put the muffler in that came with it and i love the sound,but tractors are a different story alltogether you put shiny tubes on them(chrome):D .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts