·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I wrong here? Seems I've read the higher (50, 100, 120) hp
tunes should yield better mpgs. Been running on a 50 hp tune
now going on several months and I believe I've lost 1.5 to
2.5 mpg ever since I loaded the tune. Bought fuel from
different stations and noticed no change, so I ruled out fuel.
Tires are maxed out at 80 psi. Truck rolls nice or no drag.
Most my driving is back and forth from work, short trips
with several stops. Which hasn't changed since I bought
the truck new. I think its this tune! With my kind of driving
should I be using a stock tune with just a dpf/egr delete? Are
these higher hp tunes only good for interstate use to see
the improved mpgs? :help

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
I haven't seen these elusive 3-5mpg increases w/tuner and exhaust. My DPF/Cat are gone but, my mileage has only increased ever so slightly. :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I seen even a 1/2 mpg increase I wouldnt be complaining. I'm about ready to put the dpf/cat/stock tune back in and get my 2 mpgs back. :mad: Anyone out there running dpf/egr delete with a stock tune? If so what are you getting for mpgs?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
There's definately a difference between tow tunes and economy tunes!! Boost levels and fueling are the major differences. If you get to talking to any of the tuners who offer dsp switches, you will see they have different tunes for tow and econ. When only 1 tune can be loaded at a time, they have to try and make a mix of these two. So, its hard to have the best of both worlds with only one tune. I can definately tell the difference in my egt's and power levels when comparing the two.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
who did you get the tunes from? thats definitely not typical mileage. Has it been a while since you changed you fuel filter?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
from what ive seen the newer model duramaxs have been from 10 to 21 mpg i guess it just depends on the right tune and dpf/egr deletes.

·
Registered
838 Posts
90 or 110 hp tunes on quad get better mileage. 50hp tune is worse than stock.wtf?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's definately a difference between tow tunes and economy tunes!! Boost levels and fueling are the major differences. If you get to talking to any of the tuners who offer dsp switches, you will see they have different tunes for tow and econ. When only 1 tune can be loaded at a time, they have to try and make a mix of these two. So, its hard to have the best of both worlds with only one tune. I can definately tell the difference in my egt's and power levels when comparing the two.
So what I'm seeing for mpg running the 50 hp tow tune might be normal? Would a stock tune with just the dpf/egr deleted yield better mpgs then?

who did you get the tunes from? thats definitely not typical mileage. Has it been a while since you changed you fuel filter?
Sry, I'd hate to say now. :) He does a lot of tunes around here and I don't want anything that I said have a bearing on his business. I do have a new filter, just been dragging my feet to install it cuz it don't seem to be having acceleration problems yet. I am currently at 6800 miles on the original filter. Could this have some affect on it?

90 or 110 hp tunes on quad get better mileage. 50hp tune is worse than stock.wtf?

lol, don't seem right to me either. Before the mods (completely stock) I was nearing 16.5, I think I would be lying if I said 15 now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update. Got new fuel filter in and spun some miles. Now getting 18 to maybe 19 mpg. :) I think that filter will be getting changed every 5500 miles! Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts