Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title says i was pulling a pretty good size trailer with 2 VW buses (old school hippy busses) and i started to feel the brakes like the were warped or something. so i took it into the stealership but i know the owners so i dont get hit up like everyone else plus i live in an apt and dont have the time or tools to do it myself.

anywho they said the rotor is siezed and needs new pads all the way around. he said at the most 500-600$ but thats the highest it will go.

i spent 1200$ on my truck this week between the bedliner and a few others now this. :(

sorry i ranted on. just needed to vent a little.

·
Registered
119 Posts
what do you meen the rotor is seized? Is it suck on the hub, warped? or what. That doesnt sound right to me. If the caliper is Fed up, maybe its understandable. Go take your finger and feel your rotors you should be able to feel a lot of scrapes in it. You also often feel a pulse in the petal when you apply the brakes. that is the signs of a bad rotor. If the caliper is freezing up on the rotor, you should have pull when you drive it, maybe smoke when you stop somewhere.

One other thing to look at is wheel bearings. if those are really bad it can take out your breaks/rotor as well.

just what ever you do, ALWAYS ask for the broken parts back before they even do the work and make sure you get them back when you leave.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
like my dad told me...brakes is the biggest rip-off that you can pay for. pads should be no more than about $100...I think rotors are like 100...they are not that hard to do and there are no specialized tools that you need (for disc brakes) on our trucks.

how many miles on your truck? I know my buddy said he changed his brakes at about 75,000 miles and he towed a lot...he said his brakes had a lot more wear left. chances are if any need to be changed...it would be the fronts...you would have to be riding your brakes to wear them out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
get ahold of powerstop ask for john say kanan with the flat black sema truck they sponsored told you to call. tell him your story, should give you a great price on the rotors plus they stop faster and are crossed drilled and slotted or if you want just slotted. hope this helps ya dude

·
Registered
585 Posts
Take it to another shop for a second opinion...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I had the rears done on my truck 3 times under warranty because the rotors would be rotted after the winter. and I put the cross drilled rotors on with ebc yellow pads and now it stops really good . but it wasnt cheap.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the truck has 81k miles and i do tow a lot. also its only the one rotor that needs to be replaced and the others are just the pads im pretty sure. he said at the most it would be 5-600 but he just started digging into it this morning and he said he would know more on monday.

as for the drilled and slotted i am going to go that route in a few months i have a buddy that can get them for dirt cheap and yes i can do this work my self fellas lol.. but i dont have the time between school and work both full time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Beware of dirt cheap rotors, even drilled and slotted rotors will warp if they blank they use was poor quality metal. Best thing you can ever do is buy a set that is cryo treated, you'll never have to buy them again!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you're looking for new brakes check out R1 Concept.

Bigdaddydiesel is running them on his truck right now and really seems to like them.

They offer free shipping on orders over $150.00 dollars.

Take care,
Those are some good prices!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its already done and on the truck it ended up only being a 322$ fix. i will be going to drilled/slotted rotors and SST brake lines and what not next year because i will be towing even more and heavier than i am now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts