Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the cheapest/easiest way for my trans to hold 500rwhp? I'm not looking for 800 or 1200 kits or a $5k build. I don't plan on a bigger turbo or injectors, just a good economical build for 500rwhp. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
So you want to spend less than 800 bucks and hold 500 hp... Lemme know if you find something... If you want it to hold 500 hp daily and no issues you needs a built tranny.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry...should have specified. I meant 800hp and 1200 hp kits :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
the only way u could do it for 800 is u pull ur tranny take it to a shop to install a full trans go kit and u install it back in your truck... just for a shop to pull ur tranny and put it back in would be around 4-6 hundred alone

·
Registered
872 Posts
ats co pilot is supost to help hold 200ftlbs of torque and increase tranny pressure idk if its good for 500 hp though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not 800 or 1200 dollars...800 or 1200 hp kits is what i meant

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Alligator stage v. It's supposedly rated for like 900+ and is about 2200$ iirc. That doesn't include the cost to get it installed. Mine was 3600 in all.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Alligator stage v. It's supposedly rated for like 900+ and is about 2200$ iirc. That doesn't include the cost to get it installed. Mine was 3600 in all.
You must be joking. Do any of you guys know what it takes to build a trans that will hold that kind of power? And you are going to DIY out of a chicken shit box with a bunch of clutches and a big promise? Dream on.
I have been into a bunch of DIY transmissions lately redoing them and hate to tell you guys STAY OUT. I have broken cases, busted torrington bearings with busted planets. Parts installed backwards, mods that were never done.
That's right, the Allison is easy. Spend your money wisely cause you may not have enough left to do it again.:D

·
Registered
772 Posts
You must be joking. Do any of you guys know what it takes to build a trans that will hold that kind of power? And you are going to DIY out of a chicken shit box with a bunch of clutches and a big promise? Dream on.
I have been into a bunch of DIY transmissions lately redoing them and hate to tell you guys STAY OUT. I have broken cases, busted torrington bearings with busted planets. Parts installed backwards, mods that were never done.
That's right, the Allison is easy. Spend your money wisely cause you may not have enough left to do it again.:D
Spoken like a true master! :D he just told you everything you need to know

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it seems, don't have the greenbacks for it though. Guess I'm stuck waiting :(

·
Registered
362 Posts
So what trans kit would you recommend Mike for a guy who wants to stay stock turbo/stock motor but maximize both?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Suncoast/PPE.
Hopefully by the end of the year I will have my new clutch kit. It has tested well.
Hmm what does this new clutch kit incorporate?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
So true, probably the only thing I have not touched on my truck,
and the only thing that has not given me any issues.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
O and
exhaust
intake
lift pump
trans
efi live got me a tad over 500 but it's defiantly not a (economical build). Stuff will start to break.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was one click away from ordering a rebuild kit for my '01 with plans to do it myself over Christmas vacation. I'd read every posting on doing the rebuild, tips/tricks etc. My wife, being the smart one in the family said "no way, we have the $$$$, get it done by someone". I did the 10 hr drive to Mike L's shop and couldn't be happier. I was down there during the rain storm from hell last Christmas. Being that there was no place to go outside that didn't require waders, I camped out in Mike's shop looking over the shoulder of Mike's tech who was doing the rebuild. After seeing what is involved, there is no way in the world that I'd want to do that rebuild in the garage with an off the shelf kit and no prior Allison experience. Save your pennies and have someone do the rebuild. If anywhere close to SoCal, go see Mike!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was one click away from ordering a rebuild kit for my '01 with plans to do it myself over Christmas vacation. I'd read every posting on doing the rebuild, tips/tricks etc. My wife, being the smart one in the family said "no way, we have the $$$$, get it done by someone". I did the 10 hr drive to Mike L's shop and couldn't be happier. I was down there during the rain storm from hell last Christmas. Being that there was no place to go outside that didn't require waders, I camped out in Mike's shop looking over the shoulder of Mike's tech who was doing the rebuild. After seeing what is involved, there is no way in the world that I'd want to do that rebuild in the garage with an off the shelf kit and no prior Allison experience. Save your pennies and have someone do the rebuild. If anywhere close to SoCal, go see Mike!
How long did that take? From drive up to drive away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts