Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is what i want ot know..is my hitch mounted in right spot? i was told it wasnt..and that is why my truck squats...remember i got a long bed i took some pics i can get better ones for you tomorrow if you want
im looking at buying bags
but people are saying mine isnt mounted in right spot....but that is where my camper place mounted it...

here is the sag and location if u can tell??

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
ya i should be about 3 inches in front of the axle on a long box

·
Waldo
788 Posts
It looks pretty close. How far back is it from the front of the bed to the front rail in inches? l'll go out and measure mine and post it up. How heavy is your trailer? You look like you are in desperate need of some airbags.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
yeah that looks like a heavy trailer. I cant comment on the hitch location since i have a short bed

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
um it is around 12-13k unloaded and fully loaded for vaca around 15k

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i jus did it in the dark..i think it was about 65 inches to the center of the front rail

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
The pad you’re parked on for the pic is misleading, as it has a large dip in it where your truck pivots with the trailer. Do you have a better pic on a level pad? That's an old pic too, nothing newer?

Here are some pics of a 18K Reese Select Plus mounted in a LB 1-ton…

and the cut-out slots left after I pulled it…

It looks to have had the same rail placement as yours currently does.

Although you do seem to have a larger space between the truck and trailer than I do, and yours is longer too.

What kind of weight is involved on the 5er? Edit: Nevermind, beat me to it..:D

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my 5er is about 11-13k sumwhere in there unloaded and around 15k fullly loaded
and i know that site is very akward
i do not have any pics until this memorial day when we go camping unless we take camper out otherwise thats all i got sorry.. but it does sag a little..not as bad as in that pic
it is a 38 footer

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
like i said kyle. on a long box you want the center of hitch 3 inches in from of the axle and you look like your right on center, id move it forward, it makes a big difference. i have put alot of those in and it makes a big difference just those 3 inches. by the way not many know i work for Airsafe Hitch too.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm i dont really wanna move it back because the holes in the bed...but i might have to

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
I think I'd just add some air springs before hacking up the bed anymore by moving it, which may still sag after anyway.

Mem Day? That's a long time to wait!:p

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know thats always our first camping trip! i think im going to buy some bags..anything that can help with the sag

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Ever find it hard to justify using the term "Camping" with a trailer like that in tow? :rof

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ever find it hard to justify using the term "Camping" with a trailer like that in tow? :rof
haha its got a fireplace, walk in closet, tv nice new couch, a island in the middle with storage, king sizebed, place for washer and dryer..
i guess i will call it when we move our house and feel like going to enjoy nature "kinda" lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think centered above the rear axle is where it is supposed to be so I think yours is fine. The campground photo you posted is a little misleading with the slope of the spot you are on. I just think you need airbags to support the springs with that heavy of a 5er and all sag will be gone.

·
Registered
142 Posts
what kind of hitch is it? My instructions for a long bed say the rear rail should be mounted 30" from back edge of bed. My hitch is a Reese 16k signature. Hope that helps

·
Registered
142 Posts
yup, measure from the rear of the bed 30"....that's where the back edge of the rail should be and go forward from there.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok well i measured from the back edgeof bed to the front rail and that was 65 inches to the middle

1 - 20 of 105 Posts