Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on hitches from guys with 2020+ trucks that have the 5th wheel prep from the factory.

What did you buy, why, and how do you like it? Would be great if you could include how often you tow and how heavy. Thanks!

· Registered
331 Posts
B&W Companion. My truck is a 6'9" bed. With the hitch at the highest setting and most rearward setting, I can get to almost 90* between truck/trailer and at that point the trailer wheels are very unhappy. Of course, your max turn angle will also depend on the trailer nose-cap too.

Do some research on the Andersen Ultimate hitch for failures. Hell, there are customers on Amazon that have even posted pictures. It didn't take long for me to no longer consider it as a safe option.

The B&W Companion is able to be removed in 2 pieces - the hitch head and the base. Each weighs about 65-70#. For storage, I snagged a large moving dolly from Harbor Freight that it sits on. If I need to move it, it's easy to wheel around the garage.

· Registered
43 Posts
B&W Companion. My truck is a 6'9" bed. With the hitch at the highest setting and most rearward setting, I can get to almost 90* between truck/trailer and at that point the trailer wheels are very unhappy. Of course, your max turn angle will also depend on the trailer nose-cap too.

Do some research on the Anderson Ultimate hitch for failures. Hell, there are customers on Amazon that have even posted pictures. It didn't take long for me to no longer consider it as a safe option.

The B&W Companion is able to be removed in 2 pieces - the hitch head and the base. Each weighs about 65-70#. For storage, I snagged a large moving dolly from Harbor Freight that it sits on. If I need to move it, it's easy to wheel around the garage.
I am sure i can find failures with any mass produced piece of equipment. How many 2020 L5P transmissions failed in the first year? I have used the andersen ultimate for 2 years towing my setup (43'). I am at around 18k lbs fully loaded. Not a single issue.

Attachments

· Registered
331 Posts
I am sure i can find failures with any mass produced piece of equipment. How many 2020 L5P transmissions failed in the first year? I have used the andersen ultimate for 2 years towing my setup (43'). I am at around 18k lbs fully loaded. Not a single issue.
I absolutely agree with you. When I was researching the Andersen hitch, the common thread was failure under an emergency braking situation. I'm towing a 40' toy hauler weighing approximately 16k. Colorado drivers in general drive crazy, often with little regard for their fellow motorists (I'm sure it's not an exclusive situation to Colorado). Last thing I wanted on my mind was the possibility of my trailer coming into the back of my truck cab.

All I'm saying is to do research, which is what this thread is really about - real world experiences from those of us already towing 5ers. I can certainly see the appeal of the Andersen hitch for many and for a while it was my first choice too.

· Registered
126 Posts
I wish you the best and sure hope your luck holds out on the Anderson.

· Registered
87 Posts
I use the Reese GooseBox on my 5th wheel. I like the fact of only having the ball hitch and anchors in the bed when it's not hooked up. Generally, I'll leave them in unless I need the flat bed space for something else. Been very pleased with this setup for over 2 years, with no issues.

· Premium Member
2021 Denali 1500 with 3.0 Duramax
276 Posts
Looking for opinions on hitches from guys with 2020+ trucks that have the 5th wheel prep from the factory.

What did you buy, why, and how do you like it? Would be great if you could include how often you tow and how heavy. Thanks!
I have a 2021 CC Standard Bed I use a Pullrite 2300 Sliding hitch hooked up to a DEMCO

I have a 2021 Silverado 3500 HD with standard bed (6'7") I use a Pullrite 2300 AUTOSLIDER Hitch aand a DEMCO 6333 Puck to Rail adapter plate without any Issues

· Registered
412 Posts
While I don't have one yet, I've done a lot of research and what I've found is the Anderson Ultimate hitch is the way to go. The pictures/videos I've seen of the hitch's that have failed had some type of damage to them already. One of my friends runs the Anderson on his ford and the ease of use and light weight design really make it advantageous. I would say if I were to be pulling a trailer at the max of the Anderson I might be be looking at something like the companion.

· Registered
2020 Silverado 3500 LT SRW Crew cab Duramax
73 Posts
I'm pulling about 12k with the Andersen. I had a Superglide on my previous truck. The Andersen is lighter (by a factor of 10 or so) and smoother (no slop on starts/stops). Depending on the dimensions of your pinbox, it can also give you up to 9" more clearance from the cab. This isn't as big of a deal with the newer GM trucks that have the longer standard bed. But it's a nice bonus. I choose to use the chains ... so that's an extra step but not having to do a pull test actually saves a step so I guess those two cancel each other out.

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies. The Anderson is a no go for me as the truck will be hauling many different trailers (delivering them). Constantly having to move that adapter box thingy rules it out.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.