Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to upgrade to 5th wheel trailer pretty soon and wondering what hitch to buy. Have a 18 L5p CC short bed with factory gm puck system. I don't want to buy one hitch then wish I had another. What's popular out there for this system.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don’t have the puck. But I love my B&W patriot slider.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I had the dealer throw in the SuperGlide when I bought my coach. There area a couple of automatic sliders out there. Demco makes on that does not use the capture plate and people seem to like it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like PullRite hitches.
Currently using a SuperLite #2700
Also have a SuperGlide 18k, I am going to sell.
I would get an ISR adapter for the puck system, then any standard hitch can be installed

·
Vendor
10,947 Posts
Anderson and B&W have drop in systems that use your puck and the Companion comes in a slider. Andersen doesn't but is not neeeded with their application. If I can answer any questions or help you with a quote, please let me know.

https://www.syntheticmotorsports.com

·
Registered
812 Posts
Andersen does not make a 5th wheel hitch, only the gooseneck adapter style (some trailer MFG's will void frame warranty with them), and the B&W is not an automatic slider.

With the short bed, it's nice to have the auto slider so you do not have to remember to get out and move the hitch, then get back in the truck, pull forward, and then get out and re lock it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
another vote for teh B&W slider - i had the comapnion in my Ram - now i have a curt in the new chevy, but i want to go back to a B&W. heavier, great quality and towed better in my opinion.

·
Registered
812 Posts
another vote for teh B&W slider - i had the comapnion in my Ram - now i have a curt in the new chevy, but i want to go back to a B&W. heavier, great quality and towed better in my opinion.
Was it an automatic slider? From what I have read, you have to get out and unlock it, then pull forward, get out, relock it, then make the turn, Finally Reverse procedure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was it an automatic slider? From what I have read, you have to get out and unlock it, then pull forward, get out, relock it, then make the turn, Finally Reverse procedure.
nope not automatic - but unfortunately that is the drawback to a short bed for a fifth wheel. i pulled the trigger two weeks ago on 3500 DRW silverado so no more slider for me with an 8 foot bed, but if i needed to go back to a slider, id have no concern going B&W. i think only demco and pullrite make autosliders. but i now nothing of them since i iddnt own one.

i needed the curt hitch from the dealer so i didnt have to cancel a trip to florida 2 days after getting the truck, but i will be selling the curth Q25 and going back to a B&W companion for the OEM pucks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It’s not that big of a deal to unlock it. Pull forward then after you unhook put it back. Depending on your cap design you may never need to slide it back but if you do it easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s not that big of a deal to unlock it. Pull forward then after you unhook put it back. Depending on your cap design you may never need to slide it back but if you do it easy.
true - bu th e reason i have the new 8 foot bed is that on my 2017 ram and 2018 durango 2500 5er, i hit the cap into the truck - 5100 dollars damage-

never again - new 3500 DRW with an 8 foot bed.

my honest opinion, and i know its contrary to many out there, but if you are towing a 5er - go for an 8 foot bed.

even my 25000 Ram with my old bumper pull needed air bags for a 10k bumper pull to feel good. 6.5 bed

·
Registered
74 Posts
Andersen does not make a 5th wheel hitch, only the gooseneck adapter style (some trailer MFG's will void frame warranty with them), and the B&W is not an automatic slider.

With the short bed, it's nice to have the auto slider so you do not have to remember to get out and move the hitch, then get back in the truck, pull forward, and then get out and re lock it.
What manufacturers void the frame warranty? Just curious who you spoke to. I spoke to Northwood, Jayco, Heartland and Forest River, none of which will void the frame warranty if you use an Andersen.

In addition, Andersen makes hitches to attach to the gooseneck ball or rail mount hitches. They have a demo where they used a short box ram with a toolbox and turns nearly 90 degrees without touching anything - no slider needed!. They are amazing hitches. Best part, when we're done, I unbolt the two bolts (60 seconds) and hand the entire hitch to my wife so she can hang it on the wall (weighs 40 pounds)!!

The Andersen may not work for you but they are amazing hitches for most applications. Before you decide, review all the literature on the Andersen web page and see for yourself. And no, I do not work for Andersen.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

Wrong... The Andersen is NOT a GN adapter. A GN adapter moves the attach point to the bed putting more stress on kingpin. The Andersen Ultimate “5th wheel hitch” will not void trailer warranty. The attach point is raised to the same level as a standard 5er hitch. Stop spreading bad info...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I may have been thinking of the other adapters. With the Andersen you have to measure the pin box to make certain it does not hit the side rails of the truck bed.

Anything that changes the geometry of the hitch without the consent of the MFG is a reason for them to void the warranty. The Andersen hitch can change the length of the pin box resulting in changes of forces (should be less), but that may be enough for them to void the warranty. Remember the trailer MFG is not always the frame MFG. I know on my Dutchmen, the frame and its warranty is by LCI.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wrong... The Andersen is NOT a GN adapter. A GN adapter moves the attach point to the bed putting more stress on kingpin. The Andersen Ultimate “5th wheel hitch” will not void trailer warranty. The attach point is raised to the same level as a standard 5er hitch. Stop spreading bad info...
I did a lot of research before I purchased the Andersen, this ^^^^ is correct.

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
What manufacturers void the frame warranty? Just curious who you spoke to. I spoke to Northwood, Jayco, Heartland and Forest River, none of which will void the frame warranty if you use an Andersen.
I do know that some will void the warranty if you use a gooseneck adapter due to the twisting moment where it bolts to the 5er frame. JUST to be sure I would call the frame manufacturer with the model number and ask about that.

In addition, Andersen makes hitches to attach to the gooseneck ball or rail mount hitches. They have a demo where they used a short box ram with a toolbox and turns nearly 90 degrees without touching anything - no slider needed!. They are amazing hitches. Best part, when we're done, I unbolt the two bolts (60 seconds) and hand the entire hitch to my wife so she can hang it on the wall (weighs 40 pounds)!!
I have a Reese hitch. If I want to remove it I simply pull the 4 pins and lift it out when Im disconnecting my 5er. It hangs on the king Pin til I put it back in by reversing the procedure.

I bet pushing the landing gear switch takes even less effort than lifting your 40 lb Anderson. :grin2:

Reactions: Duramaxdan59

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
As most 5vr frames are made by Lippert, that is who I would call..........

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts