Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 16’ 3500 CCSB. I have a B&W Companion slider. I had it slid back and hit the cab. Broke the window and put a small dent in the cab. Having an autoslider wouldn’t have made a difference. It was late, I was in a rush and didn’t realize the angle I was at.
I have no complaints about the hitch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Pullrite Superglide automatic slider. I used to have a Reese slider that needed to be unlocked - a huge PIA! I bought the Superglide 11 years ago and have never had a problem. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Regarding the Anderson Ultimate.
A buddy of mine just bought a brand new 30’ Cougar fifth wheel from a very large dealer in the greater Baltimore area.
He decided to use an Anderson as his wife has a 2013 F250 already equipped with a gooseneck, and he was going to equip his 2012 F250 the same so they’d have more then one tow vehicle.
He visited 3 dealers while shopping. He told all 3 of his plans for a hitch. All 3 told him the Anderson would void the warranty on the trailer frame.
I wound up picking up his trailer with my truck and Superglide slider.
Now I’ve seen the Anderson, held it, seen it hooked up and towing. I don’t see how it would change the towing dynamics enough to void a warranty. I like the hitch. I can remove it with one hand, compared to the 250+ lbs for my Superglide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can confirm Lippert does not approve the Anderson, I called and asked. Anderson claims to have a policy to cover frame damage. Id hate to be in that 3 ring pissin contest if you did have a problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Going to upgrade to 5th wheel trailer pretty soon and wondering what hitch to buy. Have a 18 L5p CC short bed with factory gm puck system. I don't want to buy one hitch then wish I had another. What's popular out there for this system.
Do yourself a favor and check out the Reese Goosebox. Now you have no big heavy hitch in the bed when unhitched, just a flip over ball. Before it comes up it is approved by Lippert, and no its not a goose neck adapter. Works and rides great, I have about 20K on mine now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out the Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder pin box. Then, even with a short bed, you can simply use a standard Reese hitch. Have been using one since 2007, and I have to say it's the best combination for towing a fifth wheel. A couple of advantages are more responsiveness when backing up and a reduction in trailer off track when cornering.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
My uncle has a pullrite slider in a 2019 3500 standard bed. He said to couple and uncouple you can only be off a few degrees side to side and even the tilt. Hes pulling a Cedar Creek Silverback and said he really likes it other than the hitching issues.

I sold 2 friends on B&W hitches and they both really like them. Mine is a Companion non slider, but the other 2 guys are sliders. One pulls a Cedar Creek Hathaway with a 2016 2500 Crew Dmax standard bed. He said hes only used the slide a few times because his front cap has enough cutback on the lower sides that he has to turn pretty sharp before it would make contact with the cab.
My other friend has the same truck and pulls a 2019 Jayco 29.5BHOK. He has used his slider a few times also. HOWEVER, his trailer is having an issue with the front cap separating from the side walls of the trailer. It's not even 6 months old. The dealer suspects it's a broken frame and has contacted Jayco. First thing Jayco asked is what hitch he is using. Dealer said he is using a B&W because THEY installed it. Since Lippert manufacturers the frames for Jayco and most of the rest of the RV companies out there, Jayco and Lippert are going to have to duke it out. Also, before he purchased the hitch he called Lippert and was told a B&W was an approved hitch along with a few others. I do remember he told me they said an Andersen was not approved because he was tossing it up between the two.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can confirm Lippert does not approve the Anderson, I called and asked. Anderson claims to have a policy to cover frame damage. Id hate to be in that 3 ring pissin contest if you did have a problem.
I can confirm for fact that is not what the trailer manufacturers say. As I stated earlier, I contacted the corporate offices for Northwood, Jayco, Heartland and Forest River, and was told the Andersen does not void the frame warranty. I believe, not sure, that heartland, jayco and maybe forest river use lippert frames, Northwood makes their own. As someone else pointed out, the connection point is the same as any other fifth wheel hitch at the pin so I can't see how it could void a warranty.

I have never used the b&w but have used the older versions of reese and curt and can tell you neither comes close in comparison to the Andersen. My uncle and a buddy, after seeing my hitch in and riding with me while towing our fifth wheel, both sold their hitches and bought Andersens. All three short boxes, two with toolboxes in the beds, no sliders needed. No contact with the bed. Simple, light, easy.

You would not be disappointed or regret the Andersen, but if you don't think it will wok for you, I wish good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Andersen does not make a 5th wheel hitch, only the gooseneck adapter style (some trailer MFG's will void frame warranty with them), and the B&W is not an automatic slider.

With the short bed, it's nice to have the auto slider so you do not have to remember to get out and move the hitch, then get back in the truck, pull forward, and then get out and re lock it.
So far, I've not seen a single FW manufacturer void a frame warranty when using an Andersen hitch. A few mfrs won't warrant the frame if you use a Reese Goose Box and almost all won't warrant the frame if you use a gooseneck adapter. Personally, I have the older 16k B&W Companion, non-slider, and love it; wouldn't have another one. My '02 4x4 SB will =not= hit my FW at full lock, R or L, when going forward. ALL will hit when backing up...at some point. A slider will give you more time before you do so. If you want a slider, the B&W Patriot is every bit as good as my Companion.

FWIW, I'm active on more than one RV forum, and hitches are a big issue. I've been on RV.net for 12 of my 15 years of RVing.

Lyle

·
Registered
135 Posts
Regarding the Anderson Ultimate.
A buddy of mine just bought a brand new 30’ Cougar fifth wheel from a very large dealer in the greater Baltimore area.
He decided to use an Anderson as his wife has a 2013 F250 already equipped with a gooseneck, and he was going to equip his 2012 F250 the same so they’d have more then one tow vehicle.
He visited 3 dealers while shopping. He told all 3 of his plans for a hitch. All 3 told him the Anderson would void the warranty on the trailer frame.
I wound up picking up his trailer with my truck and Superglide slider.
Now I’ve seen the Anderson, held it, seen it hooked up and towing. I don’t see how it would change the towing dynamics enough to void a warranty. I like the hitch. I can remove it with one hand, compared to the 250+ lbs for my Superglide.
Those same salesmen would likely tell your buddy that his F250 would tow a 20k GVW FW, "no problem". They're like politicians; when their mouths are moving, they're lying.

Lyle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another vote here for the Reese Goose Box.
I have a 2017 L5P Crew Short bed
When I got my 5th wheel camper I bought a B&W Companion Slider worked great. One big problem. I’m always by myself. The companion slider is upwards of 180#s one man alone Will NOT get that thing out.
I found a few videos on you tube about the Reese and was sold. No chucking side to side it’s just smooth on the ball. It comes with air bags build in to make the ride that much better. One thing I did buy after this was the B&W 4” extension ball. It moves your ball/hook up point 4” back. That all being said, I will still Impact the cab if I go past 75-80* (degrees)
But I will live with having to be extra vigilant
In that regard to be able to have the ease of having an empty bed when I unhook.
Also, it goes without saying I ONLY have the one camper to haul. If you want or need to haul different trailers this is not for you.
This is like having the fifth wheel hitch attached to your camper.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is the hitch I use, https://www.pullrite.com/2400. I prefer it to the Anderson because it mounts in 4 locations, not just the goose ball.
This is the pinbox I use https://store.lci1.com/l07-air-ride-pin-box-21000-lbs-158777.html.
The combination is the tightest chuck free I combination I have found, isolates the truck and trailer from jarring over bridge joints and really works well.
Depending on you frame mounts there are several models to choose from.
Also I chose to get a "long jaw" which located the trailer further back from the truck cab for clearance

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is the prep bracket for the 19 and prior GM's https://www.demco-products.com/rv-t...prep-brackets/chevy-or-gmc-prep-truck-bracket to give you ISR mounts for any industry standard mount hitch you wish.
This is the Ford prep bracket https://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/hijacker/factory-prep-brackets/ford-prep-bracket/ which the 2020 GM bracket will be styled from, It will lock into the pucks just with slightly different spacing than the Ford.
I am scheduled to receive it the 18th of this month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same truck, and I went with the Pullrite 18K autoslider after reading up on all of them. I am very satisfied with the way my 5th wheel pulls with it, very solid and steady. It is very heavy, and one man can't handle it in and out of the truck, but the thing is with our puck system we can just pull the pins and leave the hitch hanging on the trailer. Only bad point is that you have to be straight on get the thing to latch, if you are off 10 degrees it won't latch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you don't pull goosenecks I would stay with puck system. Way better movement (less stress on camper). As Jlawles2 said, I too made the deal throw in my hitch. Personally, I wish mine wasn't adjustable. I never adjust it and don't like the slack in it. Just my 2 cents.
Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going to upgrade to 5th wheel trailer pretty soon and wondering what hitch to buy. Have a 18 L5p CC short bed with factory gm puck system. I don't want to buy one hitch then wish I had another. What's popular out there for this system.
An Auto Slide is the only way to go with a short bed. I personally loved my Demco when I had a short bed F-250, one of the best investments I ever made. Never have to manually slide it and never worry about (or accidentally) hit the cab with the nose of the 5er.

Only draw back is the weight of the thing. If you need to pull it out, you will need some sort of a hoist or 2 friends to get the thing in or out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks again for all the good info. I appreciate everyone taking time to reply. I don't feel completely blind on 5th wheel hitch now. Safe travels to all.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I wonder if Lippert would void a warranty if you used an Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel RAIL MOUNT hitch?
It seems that as soon as somebody says the word "Gooseneck" everybody goes off the deep end.
The B&W companion uses the gooseneck (read Turnover Ball) method of attachment to the tow vehicle.
Anderson uses the Turnover Ball method of attachment to the tow vehicle also. It's just that the Anderson secures to the Turnover Ball, whereas the Companion removes the Turnover Ball, and drops into the underbed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a little confused. My 2011 Sierra has a B&W turnover that was installed by a previous owner. I was planning on getting the Companion for when we do upgrade to a 5th wheel. Are the B&W Companions approved, or will the warranty on a 5th wheel be void by this? I don't see why it would. As it is right now, my turnover ball has been in the storage position for so long that it is stuck and the entire thing may need to be removed or replaced. I don't really ever see myself towing with a gooseneck, but since I already have the hole for it, I figured I would get the Companion instead of having rails installed. I also like having a flat bed.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts