Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a goose neck or 5 th wheel in terms of towing capacity? Which can carry more load? Any preferences to manufactureres? Any 5th wheels that can be a quick disconnect?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think the capacity is that different. I know things like car trailers and horse trailers are gooseneck type. Campers are all 5th wheel type. I don't really know why, but I'm sure someone will. I personally like the gooseneck design because it still leaves you the bed when you're not towing. With a 5th wheel you have to take that whole heavy a$$ assembly out to use your bed. I'm pretty sure they have quick disconnect, but it's still gonna be heavy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They do have quick disconnects but the bars are always bolted to the bed. A pain in the butt if you ask me cause the bed is no longer flat. If you have a 5th wheel camper you can change it over to a gooseneck with a simple ad-on peice you can get at any camper store.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They do have quick disconnects but the bars are always bolted to the bed. A pain in the butt if you ask me cause the bed is no longer flat. If you have a 5th wheel camper you can change it over to a gooseneck with a simple ad-on peice you can get at any camper store.
That's great. I want to get a 5th wheel for the dunes, but don't want to hassle with taking it out every time I want to use the truck. Now it seems as if I can have the best of both worlds. Thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts