Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any reviews on the factory 5th wheel prep package? I wonder how their layout has been working for you (I'll only be using a gooseneck with upper pucks), if the plastic covers have been a pain or not, would you get it again if you had the choice?

I don't see that B&W has come out with their version for the 2020's, and I'm debating on whether or not to just get the factory installed version.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A friend of mine uses the puck system for his B&W 5th wheel hitch. It added about 1" more in hitch height than what he had. He was already pretty high at the highest point on his RV so an inch he didn't really want/need. I think he's around 13'5" now.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I like mine but with my Anderson hitch I only use the goose neck ball and not the rest of the puck holes for towing. Already lost one of the small covers, haven't seen anything worth paying to replace it with yet but I'm not worried about it.

For me it was a must have at the time, I drove four hours away to get my new truck and we had a camping trip reserved the following weekend so I needed a truck ready to tow. Didn't have the time or extra cash to have a truck without the prep pkg set up to tow my fifth wheel.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My current truck does not have it, new truck will.
It is much less expensive to have the factory setup, than to install a GOOD aftermarket ISR rail kit

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 2020 trucks have a new pattern so previous gen fifth wheel hitches not drop in. I believe the 2020 pattern follows SAE with should be common with Ford. 2020 and previous goosenecks kits are compatible.

#iworkforGM

·
Registered
104 Posts
Does anyone have any reviews on the factory 5th wheel prep package? I wonder how their layout has been working for you (I'll only be using a gooseneck with upper pucks), if the plastic covers have been a pain or not, would you get it again if you had the choice?

I don't see that B&W has come out with their version for the 2020's, and I'm debating on whether or not to just get the factory installed version.
I have the puck system on my 2018 and I really like it, it's easy to take in & out and seems to be really solid while towing my fifth wheel. I had the B&W Companion setup on my last truck and it was nice as well, the only complaint with the B&W Companion is it's heavy and it's a load to put it in and to take it out of the bed. I have the B&W puck fifth wheel hitch on this truck and it's quite a bit lighter. The gooseneck ball works nice as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The 2020 trucks have a new pattern so previous gen fifth wheel hitches not drop in. I believe the 2020 pattern follows SAE with should be common with Ford. 2020 and previous goosenecks kits are compatible.

#iworkforGM
Really??? WTF
Why would they change the pattern, I expect my 2020 just before departing on a 1300mi journey with my 5th wheel. want to have my ducks in a row before truck arrives......

·
Registered
112 Posts
I measured the truck I'm driving. I went to the outside of each hole. I got about 23.25 wide and 14.5 inches in fore/aft.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I measured the truck I'm driving. I went to the outside of each hole. I got about 23.25 wide and 14.5 inches in fore/aft.
Thank You for your measurements. It would help if we know what truck you have and if it has the factory system.

It is my understanding the 2020 will be different than the earlier trucks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just got conformation the pattern is different for the 2020 fifth wheel prep brackets :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
I only use the gooseneck ball and I will not have another factory one!! GM says it is a Curt hitch system, but according to Curt it is a "Curt like" hitch, when I put the gooseneck ball in to place it has some slop to it, can't see it when hooked to trailer but at 15,000 lbs or so for the trailer it should not take long to find out how rugged it is going to be!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I only use the gooseneck ball and I will not have another factory one!! GM says it is a Curt hitch system, but according to Curt it is a "Curt like" hitch, when I put the gooseneck ball in to place it has some slop to it, can't see it when hooked to trailer but at 15,000 lbs or so for the trailer it should not take long to find out how rugged it is going to be!!!
There is some slop required to remove the gooseneck ball in states that get a lot of corrosion. If you don't want the slop, weld it in place. I have done evaluations with it welded and standard slop and it has no impact on braking, accelerating, or handling. These integrated hitches have a brutal SAE test that they have to pass for structural strength. I would trust the integrated hitches more than the aftermarket.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 2011 vintage integrated gooseneck hitches had issues with fore/aft stiffness that could cause some shudder under braking. They got better in 2015. 2020 version is significantly stiffer than the previous generations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GM GN / Fifth Wheel Prep Package Sucks

I just bought a 2019 GMC 3500HD (2 1/2 weeks ago) with the factory GN / Fifth Wheel Prep Package. Could have chosen one off the lot without it, but thought it would be better to have the "factory" system. My 2105 2500HD took me about 5 hours to install the fifth wheel rails in the bed - drill 10 holes and attach some brackets. Well, about 5 hours later I (thorough, but not fast) was finished. So, time for a new truck (dually), no desire to crawl under (up, down, up down, etc.) for 5 hours again - I opted for the factory system. After researching for fifth wheel adapter (to provide the rails to mount my existing fifth wheel hitch to) for the supposedly Curt system, I ordered the wrong one on-line. I thought I even ordered the correct GM part #19330276 that the parts guy showed me when I was picking up my truck. However, the male part that goes into the gooseneck hole is too big. So, $ 418.00 later, the Curt product 16210 is useless to me. I didn't want the Curt legs that use the 4 other holes because I wanted the bed rails, and was pleasantly surprised about them being removable if needed.

I equate this GM factory trailer prep package to beta tapes. Everyone remember... VHS tapes won out and there was no "aftermarket support" for Beta tapes. Maybe that is why I am reading (on this thread) about they are changing the hole pattern for 2020. Seems like limited choices in the aftermarket for supply of removable bed rails for fifth wheel hitch that uses the GN hole.

I should have just bought the truck that was $ 2,500.00 less (not a Denali) and ordered the custom bed rail kit and spent the 5 hours installing it. If I'm not lucky I'll have about 900.00 and 5-6 hours time invested into getting this new truck so that I can hook it up to my fifth wheel. Keep in mind, that it just so that I can mount my existing fifth wheel hitch into this FACTORY system. If I'm lucky, I'll only be into this for about 400.00 - but my time is gone (wasted).

Good Luck everyone!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been told the 2020 factory hitch pattern is different. Our old hitches are junk. Trying to find a hitch that works and no luck so far. Anybody find a hitch that works in the new 2020 factory puck system.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 2019 is the first truck that had factory prep built into it. That being said, I simply ordered the Demco Adapter plate for factory prep GM trucks. Very simple and much cheaper to do than installing a bed rail kit and wiring. With the adapter plate you are essentially using the gooseneck for everything, the other 4 holes are used to simply snug up/level the adapter rails. I did catch a 2020 truck at my local dealer with factory prep and it is a different spacing pattern on the 4 holes so the current adapter plates will not work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The GM kit I have and the Curt kit I have are exactly the same. The GM accessory kit (84000461) came in the same plastic carrying case and had the Curt part number (60692) on the label. I've towed a 19k pound goose neck trailer over 30k miles with it and no issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts