Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck: 2007 2500HD LMM

I'm thinking about getting a new 5th wheel but was wondering if it is too big.

Tongue weight is right at 2400 lbs. I was thinking about installing airbags to help with the 2 tons in the bed.

Dry weight is 12,450 lbs. Don't have to worry about the wife packing the kitchen sink (it already has one), but she will pack everything else, maybe about another 1500 lbs. That will up the weight to right at 14,000 lbs.

What's the consensus? Is the 5th wheel too big for safety for a 2500HD? and what about the tongue weight?

Thanks,
GM

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Nahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine has a tongue weight of 2340 lbs and weighs 12200lbs loaded and I don't even know its back there most of the time. The air bags do help stabilize the ride quite a bit though. I would definitely go with a set of them. I went with the Load Leveler 5000's. A lot of guys on here use the Firestone Ride Rites. They are good also.

·
Registered
159 Posts
04 CCSB stock no bags got rubber ride timpreins, , 30 ft courger tool box in bed gen. set up ,bout 2450lb loaded on rear , no prob.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Go with airbags and a good set of shocks and you'll be set.

·
Registered
665 Posts
X2 on air bags. I use AirLift 5000 with no on-board compressor. I bring a pan cake style one with me when travelling.

I think your GVWR rating is 9200 lbs. Your truck probably weights 7000 lbs with a hitch and full tank of fuel in it. Will it pull it - no problem the duramax/Allison combination is great for towing. You will probably be over your GVWR rating. I think you will be well within the rear axle weight ratings though.

Keep the truck and trailer brakes in good working condition. I think the stock tires are 245s - if you go to 265s that will add about 400lb carrying capacity to each tire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks guys.

My tires are 265s. I do think I will go with some airbags.

I also think I'll need a bigger gas tank. The bigger 5er will probably drop my gas mileage. It probably won't take long to go through 20 gallons before the fuel light comes on.

I was also thinking about a new diff cover with larger capacity and synthetic differential fluid.

Thanks again everyone. Never thought the duramax wouldn't be able to do it. Man that thing has the power.

GM

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Hey thanks guys.

My tires are 265s. I do think I will go with some airbags.

I also think I'll need a bigger gas tank. The bigger 5er will probably drop my gas mileage. It probably won't take long to go through 20 gallons before the fuel light comes on.

I was also thinking about a new diff cover with larger capacity and synthetic differential fluid.

Thanks again everyone. Never thought the duramax wouldn't be able to do it. Man that thing has the power.

GM
Good plan!! Just got back from Texas with mine a couple of weeks ago. Wifey said we averaged 13.4 mpg overall. I too have thought about a bigger tank, but settled for carrying 10 gallons extra in the bed of the truck. Haven't has to use a drop of it yet. Usually pour it in when we get back from the trips. I went with AMSOIL synthetic fluids in mine a couple of years ago and they have treated me well. Probably will change them out next year before we go to Colorado. By the way, I have had mine to Virginia twice (08 & 09) and Colorado/Wyoming (2010) once in addition to Texas (2011) this year. :drink

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
TT with 1k tongue and a fuel tank in bed #700, camper shell around 200 tools ,bikes, firewood, I think 2200 give or take,
was at dump and I weight 7100 with shell, no tank in bed

·
Registered
578 Posts
post pics when you get the camper.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My truck: 2007 2500HD LMM

Dry weight is 12,450 lbs. Don't have to worry about the wife packing the kitchen sink (it already has one), but she will pack everything else, maybe about another 1500 lbs. That will up the weight to right at 14,000 lbs.
You're only letting the wife pack 1500lbs - how did you manage that?

You're right at the limit with that combination. I know lots of people who tow overweight but do you want to have insurance if you have a crash?

BTW, water (and sewer) weighs about 10lbs a gallon. It adds up in a hurry.

Cheers, Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Two things to check: Max recommended towing weight in owner's manual, and weight on individual axles, especially the truck rear axle. Beware of published curb weight specs. They aren't as grossly understated as they used to be, but they are often low, especially if the fiver has optional equipment (icemaker, generator, extra TVs, etc.) We tow a 33' fiver that has a loaded weight per a truck scale of 13,000#; pin weight is just under 3000#., Ours does have a generator in the front compartment, which adds about 250#. Our max towing capacity per owner's manual is 14,000#; we are a bit over the GVWR for the fiver. The comment about holding your better half to 1500# of gear and watching the weight in your water, propane and holding tanks is right on. In adddition to max towing weight and trailer GVWR, you are likely to be close to the rear axle GAWR; we're about 1000# under. Again, a truck scale is the only accurate way to find out. If you weigh both truck axles with the fiver unhitched, then hitch up and weigh first the truck, then just the fiver axles, a little math will give you total weight for the fiver and the weight on your rear axle.

This does load the rear axle pretty heavily. You want to make sure you carry the right tire pressure and watch tire, rear axle, and bearing temps, especially in hot weather. If you are running over 60 mph in 95 degree plus weather, you will find rear tires running at 175 degrees or more and the rear axle (differential) to be as much as 180 degrees. My dealer recommends a transmission flush and changing all the gearboxes every 30,000 miles. Only problem we have ever had is that the rear tires both suffered tread separation after about 10,000 miles of towing. At the time, temperature wasn't that hot--about 75 degrees. We think the tires were defective. An infrared pyrometer ($35 or so at Sears or any well-stocked tool/hardware store) is a great investment. We got one after the rear tires went out; the tire shop shot the rear axle and tires when trying to see what might have gone wrong. Use it to check tire & bearing temps at every stop. It will help you find a leaky tire or bearing running hot.

One other tip. Run tires with the least aggressive tread you can find. They will run cooler.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the same truck as you with Airlift airbags (which are a must with a big 5'er towed by a 2500). I am towing this pig: 13,200 lbs dry weight, 2400 lbs on the pin. My truck tows it very well but don't believe the guys that tell you "I can barely tell it's there." That's alot of weight back there. You'll be ok but you have to be careful. You will be close on the combined weight rating. Like previously stated, bring your rig to the scales and get weighed to be sure. I watch my wife like a hawk when she is loading the camper :)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Like a few mentioned above, run with tire pressure close to max. I have 2004 Montana Mountianeer 318bhs. 2k pin weight, 9320 dry weight.
I was raised by a "tire man" and he has always preached to run both truck and trailer tires close to the max psi rating. You may want to drop it a little to increase ride when not towing.
A BIG also is to have 10 ply or load range E. These tires will run cooler and handle our loads more safely.
The one who mentioned BRAKES is probably the most important part. We could eventually get a load to 50 mph with an S-10 or Colorado but could you imagine trying to stop?
I have had 2 duallys in the past so I know what im missing by pulling with 2500. They are a little more "sure-footed" towing these loads. If i didnt have teenagers driving right now I'd have a dually.
I'm considering airbags myself...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I went through the SAME dilemma. After the 3rd trip I sold my truck and bought a dually. Best decision I ever made!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 01 Prowler 5er is about 9k dry and probably 11k loaded up to camp, weight on the hitch is 1900lb ish and it is not even enough to level out the truck when hitched. We get 10-11mpg depending on how hard I lean on the skinny pedal. Do not beleive anyone who says they do not notice 13k of trailer behind them, it's a lie. You will nknow it is back there for sure when it is that heavy. I have towed my freinds 6k Sunline and compared to the Prowler, I could forget that was back there.

Re'

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK! I got all my stuff together.

Weighed my truck: Steer Axle = 3840 lbs
Drive Axle = 2700 lbs
Gross Weight = 6540 with full tank
add my wife and me (290 lbs ) = 6830 lbs
add 5th wheel hitch (160 lbs?) = 6990
plus 10 lbs of snacks :) grand total = 7000 lbs

2400 lbs tongue weight would put a total of 9400 lbs for the truck. GVWR is 9200 lbs which would put me 200 lbs over.

The GCWR from my drivers manual is 22000 lbs, my total combined weight would be 21000 lbs. Cutting it close.

The driver's manual states: "Fifth-wheel or gooseneck kingpin tongue weight should be 15 percent to 25 percent of trailer weight up to 3,000 lbs (1361 kg) maximum."

So I am barely within the 22000 lbs GCWR.

I know the DMax and Allison will tow it and it looks like I'm within the legal limits, so it looks like it's a go.

Thanks everyone,
GM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts