Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed my RV for about 4 hours of driving with 6'' lift kit and it chewed out the rear axle tires inboard side, from being high and overloading back axle .I have a Jayco Eagle Super Lite 5th wheel and a 2006 2500HD Duramax.
I just took off my 6'' lift kit and am now stock with Air Bags.......measured RV sitting level and marked front jacks with magic marker then loaded onto truck and marked jack again, I am still about 4'' out from being level, I know best tow is when level, do you think I can tow now without chewing tires up?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
what is the length of your 5er. I tow a 30' toybox and I dont have any problems. with my 6" lift. You could always flip the 5er axles. I personaly wouldnt though

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
28.5...........I hope it will work, problem is it is too light. It is about 4'' too high to be perfectly level. My last tires with lift kit lasted aroung 280 Miles.With lift kit out I am going to re-shoe and try it again for a trip next month and monitor. Either axle could be bent which I doubt because since lowering when hooked tires are'nt bowed out as before...........may have to reverse leafs on axle to get where I need to be....but I hope w/lift out it works...Does your tow close to level or uphill ?.Thanks for your input !!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I am having the same issue. You should be able to raise or lower your king box or hitch. Problem I have is once everything is level the camper is 3 inches above my box sides. My axles are already flipped so I have to either get blocks, new springs or air bags.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My KingPin box is already maxed out or raised....never knew it was this big of pain compared to travel trailers.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Alot , sorry for you......... but I'm glad someone can relate !

·
Registered
127 Posts
With my cclb and 285's I had to flip the axles under the springs on my 32' fifth wheel. I am about 2" nose high now. I also had to drop my extended pin box down 1 hole to get 4" of clearance at the tailgate and bed sides.

I haven't had any issues, pulls very good with no sway or anything. I even tow my 4200lb boat behind it.

A little nose high is not bad, perfectly level might be ideal though.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Get rid of those big tires guys. My truck is stock height, slightly taller tires, and my rv is level. Not flipped anything and shackles are still in lowest setting, which it came with from dealer.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Mine has 265s on it so there not big tires. I think my issue is my leaf springs are sagging since my camper is heavy and old.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
i got 38 foot 5er. my truck sags like a B. but thats okay. my tires still last

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Mine has 265s on it so there not big tires. I think my issue is my leaf springs are sagging since my camper is heavy and old.
Are you overloaded? Rv manufacturers are notorious for not putting enough suspension under rv's for owners. I have seen 37' 5th wheel rv with only 6K axles. My 32' has 8k. Mine is not the norm though. Springs are not expensive. Axles aren't too bad either.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Camper weighs 12000 loaded. All I know is it has 8 lug axles. Its a 1991 32ft all season camper. Like I said before. On my 03 it had plenty of clearance when level. I wonder if the new body style has taller bed sides.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Most, all I have checked, have the axle rating on the hitch.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys, All good info, Now I am stock running 265/75/16 which is 1 step up from stock.....good thing my Dad pointed to look at is to look at rockers that tie leafs together front & rear.......rockers are not too far out of level......Thinking of putting on new tires & rolling it with close eye, after numerous phone calls to many RV places & axle places........it is still cheapest route to check.
Thank Everyone for thier opinions and keep them coming , I am all ears..... : )

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UpDate, Rear Axle is bent....getting new one.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My guess is owner before did it,i called RV place I bought it from & told them what was going on,they said they'll make it right, I have'nt towed it but 2 trips camping.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
my father in law has replaced his axles 2 times from hitting curbs and he has 8 lug, g rated, 7k axles and tires

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my father in law has replaced his axles 2 times from hitting curbs and he has 8 lug, g rated, 7k axles and tires

Man ...that is rough, sounds like he needs a smaller RV..., Hey... could you PM me with info about your aux. fuel tank ? Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts