Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about going from a 350 V8 to a Detroit Diesel 6.2 in my Suburban. Especially for fuel economy. P.S. I don't care about speed, just fuel economy. And my 700r4 transmission had a gear ratio where the engines Rpm on first gear goes higher before it shifts. Short of speak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, they pretty much share the same mounts. But, at a minimum it will need a different torque converter.

There are write-ups around the web on dropping in the Detroit (more common is the 6.5), so just search around for others that have done it.

One thing to make sure you are good with is that the DD 6.2 is a lot louder than the 350. A second thing is to consider overhauling any 6.2 as there are some upgrades which will help make it more durable than OE.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you will need to change the governor on your tranny to one that has the lower shift points for the rpm range of the 6.2. as well as the torque converter. I would also upgrade the 2/4 shift servo to the corvette one as well, if I remember right it gives the 2/4 band more clamping force.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts