Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 6.5L with 200000 miles and I've read about guys getting 15-20mpg and I'm getting 10-12 on the interstate, any ideas? What can I do to boost mileage. Also when i change my fuel filter only the bottom quarter is dirty, and the fuel bowl is always empty, I have a 96 6.5L and the filter bowl is always full and the entire filter is black, the truck starts and runs great though

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
6.5 should get good mileage. Injection pumps and PMDs were known to fail. PMDs can be relocated because they can't take the heat.

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
sounds like it might be starving... any power issues, or smoke?

·
Registered
311 Posts
What size is it? is it a half, 3/4, or 1 ton? What gears does it have? I just sold my 98 3500 6.5 4 door longbed single axle with 33 inch tires. I was getting 13.5 everyday driving and 16 highway. Everybody I talked to said I was crazy and I liked it, didnt blow a lick a smoke after I replaced the vacuum pump, towed 12000lbs like nothin. Make sure everything is running right and you should easily pull 15mpg no matter what

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get your lift pump working properly or get the filler cap to vent properly so that pressurized fuel is making to the IP-you won't need your foot in it as deep that way.

The OPS powers the LP when the engine is running and it is not uncommon for the contacts to burn out,to check if it is working idle the engine safely and open the water in fuel Tee valve,if it stalls the LP is not working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts