Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing some advice from people who have experience towing a 5th wheel with a shortbed.

I've been looking at hitches for about a month now while watching numerous You-Tube videos and reading. I'm liking the functionality of the Demco autoslider but would not be opposed to something like the Anderson ultimate hitch "if" it truly provides enough room for tight turns and such. Since I've never hooked up or towed a 5th wheel there may be some "nit-noid" details or "oh-by-the-ways" I'm not privy too. All help/advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
250 Posts
depending on the front cap design of your 5th wheel you really do not need a slider. I pull a 2018 montanna with a b&w slider and have never needed to slide, but like other things it is better to have and not need then need and not have. I really like the B&W patriot.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have towed my unit all over western Canada and U.S. with my '11 S/box 3500. I put the Pullrite Superglide automatic sliding hitch in when truck was new. Heavy, but always puts trailer far enough away from cab when turning. I have also watched back windows being broken and cabs being damaged when pulling into tight parking areas with s/box trucks without sliders ( or guys forgetting to slide back before turning... LOL ). I went to a Pullrite Superlite single point with my dually though.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I have pulled three different 5ers with two different trucks that both had 6.5' beds. Have never had an issue getting in and out of anywhere. There have been a couple times that I had to really look to make sure I wouldn't hit on my older camper when getting into a tight camping spot.

Currently I pull with my 2016 3500 swd that has a 6.5' bed and the 5er is a 2012 crossroads zinger. The truck came with a goose-neck ball so I put a goose box on the camper and never been happier with how it pulls.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Fifth_Wheel_King_Pin-co-1621.aspx

If you going with the standard setup, the B&W hitcher are really nice and have little to no chucking. Something you will love.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have towed our Jayco 361 REQS on multiple shortbed trucks, we do have a 20k Reese slider but I have yet to utilize the slider. Just gotta be mindful when do extreme hard turns. I'd buy a slider hitch and stay away from the auto sliding hitches as they tend to be problematic, and if they fail... your pretty well stuck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have the Reese Titan 20k slider. I think they stopped making them.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Do you tow a gooseneck or will you ever? If so get the B&W Gooseneck hitch with either the B&W Patriot or if you want a 5er hitch you can install yourself, get a Blue Ox Super Ride hitch. We've got one and the truck rides better than previously used hitches and still allows the hitch to be "slid".

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
A 5er pulls with virtually no sway that you sometimes get with a TT. That is the huge advantage

A TT is much easier to back up because the center of rotation (the hitch ball) is so much further to the rear than on a 5er, which is actually about 2"in front of the rear axle when properly set up.

The slider moves the enter of rotation 10" to the rear making backing and turning easier, and adds clearance for your cab. Our 5er WILL contact my cab if I try and turn tightly while backing without a slider.

One disadvantage of a slider is they are noisy. They clang around because they aer not and cannot be Totally movement free.

We found what we think is a better solution. It is a Reese Revolution Pin Box.

It moves the center of rotation 22" to the rear, more than twice as much as a sliding hitch. Makes backing even easier than with a slider.

You don't have to get out, move some lever to bet into "Maneuvering position"

It doesn't rattle and clang.

Something to think about.

I found mine on Craigs List for right at 1/2 Price.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, all great info, very much appreciated! I have some more researching to do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the shortbed and use the B&W companion. Great hitch but almost 300lbs. I have a 2017 Keystone Sprinter and never had a problem on turning radius. The companion has 5 different positions and mine is set to the furthest to the rear which I think is about 4" off center. No need for a slider if you have a newer 5th with the radius cap. I had a Curt hitch with my long bed. I noticed some chucking with the Curt but not with the B&W. Curt a little easier to connect with its full articulated head but Curt made in China, B&W USA.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We bought a Pullrite 2714 to use when pulling our 40' Landmark. We have an 07' SWB CC. Never had an issue with it. It was darn expensive. But never have to worry about turning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the Anderson Ultimate hitch and I can turn 90 degrees without hitting. I like the fact that it is light weight and easy to hook up/detach. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
06 short bed crew cab, Anderson 16k hitch, 31' Denali 5th wheel. Never had an issue without having the slider. There is literally only one spot I can ever remember trying to get into where I was "close" but the bigger issue was that my truck was so close if not past 90* that I wasn't moving the trailer in the direction I wanted anyways. My trailer does have the concaved front cap, which I *think* all newer trailers have, so you should be fine without a slider. But like many say, better to have and not need than need and not have. With that said, its nice to not have to load that extra weight of a slider in/out of the bed since during non-camping seasons I remove mine.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Just pull it with a gooseneck ball like the rest of us dummies.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
5 Posts
local RV lot had this setup on display, seemed very well made and well thought out so I went ahead and purchased it, kit will be here next week for a "next weekend" install!
Curious to know why you didn't do the Pull right 2600? Doesn't need the additional 4 point kit.

Sent from my LG-V50 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious to know why you didn't do the Pull right 2600? Doesn't need the additional 4 point kit.

Sent from my LG-V50 5G using Tapatalk
When I researched all the mounting bracket options to include "install instructions" and whatever videos I could find online I thought this was one of the cleanest setups that allowed for complete bed removal of all mounting gear; plus I liked the fact that the ISR, Industry Standard Rails, didn't rest on the truck bed floor. According to Pullrite they sit about 3/4" raised above the floor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts