Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked over this forum and couldn't find any information about changing the fuel filter and water separator on my 2006 Chevy 6.6 G3500 Utility Body Van.

I took the information I could from the guys that posted about changing out the type in a pickup truck.
The difference with the van or "cut away body is that they have a separate fuel filter and water separator and they are sold as a kit with both of them in one box. I paid around $100, retail I suspect, over the counter at a commercial parts store.

The Filters are located pretty much under the truck beneath the drivers seat and are very easy to access.
The only tool I used were a 1" socket for the fuel separator canister.

I had a couple of aluminum disposable type roasting pans that I use for my oil changes to catch any fuel that might leak out. None did but they came in handy to throw the used filter into.

First, the fuel filter;
I was able to loosen it by hand. all of the fuel remained in the filter housing. I removed the old filter, dumped the 1/2 pint or so of fuel out of it into the roasting pan, took the drain plug off of the bottom, removed the old O ring, lubed the new O ring with fuel from the pan, installed the new O ring and hand tightened onto the new filter.
Next, lubed the new O ring and installed it onto the top of the new filter and spun the new filter on. I hand tightened it. (you might want to decide how tight you want your filter, I have pretty decent hand strength)

Next, the water separator. This is where the electrical connector plug is connected into the lower portion of the canister. It has a small lever at the base of it. You will need to squeeze it before you pull on it to release the connector. Note the position of the connector. Mine was at about in the 2 o'clock position. You will want to return it it to this position.
I used the 1" socket to loosen the canister/housing.
I lowered the housing into the roasting pan and let the fuel flow out of it. Again, about 1/2 pint. I removed the old O ring from the housing, lubed the new O ring with fuel and reinstalled it onto the canister. Same with the drain plug that is screwed into the bottom.
I installed the new filter inside the canister and screwed it back on. I then tightened it back to the 2 o' clock position and plugged in the connector.

THIS IS WHAT IS DIFFERENT FROM A PICK UP TRUCK!

The cut away body has an electric primer. You do not have to pump it 150 times.
Turn the key on, you can hear the air in the fuel lines being displaced by the fuel. This can take a couple of minutes. I turned mine on an off a couple of times during the procedure and did it a couple of times.

It cranked right up..:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, I just purchased a 2008 Express 3500 box with the 6.6 and I will be doing most maintenance and I was also looking all over for that info, glad to know it should be an easy replacement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts