Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hope someone can help im buying a class c motorhome and debating between getting the duramax 6.6 litre 300hp diesel or a 8.1 litre vortec chevy. i know the diesel will pull harder and give better performance but how about mpg the coach weighs 20,000 lbs dry. Any ideas? the gas engine gets around 7-9 mpg over the long run? any thoughts or comments would help.

thanks
gm duramax forum noob:rockin

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Depending on model of duramax, (LB7,LLY, LBZ) mileage should be at least the same if not better. After driving my duramax for over 3 years, I will not go back to gas. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mileage Question

I have an '03 2500HD 6.6 300hp 4 door short bed. Bought it new. I am still bragging about the mileage it gets to my friends with gassers. According to my computer, my average has been 17 - 18. Used to be near 20mpg, however since I retired, I don't drive as much freeway as I used to so my mileage has dropped about 2.5 mpg:gearjamin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go with Duramax!

Hi, hope someone can help im buying a class c motorhome and debating between getting the duramax 6.6 litre 300hp diesel or a 8.1 litre vortec chevy. i know the diesel will pull harder and give better performance but how about mpg the coach weighs 20,000 lbs dry. Any ideas? the gas engine gets around 7-9 mpg over the long run? any thoughts or comments would help.

thanks
Definitely go with the Duramax. The gasser will not make you happy. (Just my oppinion):D

·
Registered
68 Posts
duramax all the way, im getting 15 or 16 mpg and i only drive in the city

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forget about gas rigs when towing

I tow something almost every weekend. I get 12-15 MPG on the highway towing my toys. They weigh between 5500 lbs and 12000. I have the edge programer though.. It made a huge difference in MPG and power. I had a vortec but it was too expensive to tow with. I only got 6-8 MPG on normal towing loads. Go diesel, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts

thanks

The 8.1 will be a severe Gas hog.
The Diesel will be more pleasant to drive requiring less RPM to do the job while having better low RPM torque to get the coach rolling.....not to mention getting a couple more MPG and being designed for longevity.

·
Registered
2016 GMC Denali HD 6.6, Leveled, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on Stock Wheels
90 Posts
gee whiz guys, i wish i was getting that average mileage.. i get 13-15 average and thats both hand firgured and using the computer, and thats a combo of highway and city driving!

but yeah go diesel, the engine will last a lot longer!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.