Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up members? My question is if I change out my tranny to a 6 spd. and trade out TCM's do i have to do anything else?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
it would be easier and probably cheaper to get the kit from suncoast....or just get a truck that already has the 6 speed. Other than that, I could think that you might want to get the gear selector with the tap shift stuff on it and possibly a new guage cluster (you might be able to get yours reprogrammed for the manual mode of the new 6 speed too.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
IIRC the 6 speed trucks dont even have a tcm, it and the engine is all controled by one controler on the 6 speed ally trucks!

·
Registered
484 Posts
IIRC the 6 speed trucks dont even have a tcm, it and the engine is all controled by one controler on the 6 speed ally trucks!
Correct

To convert a 5 speed to 6 speed you will need to change the valvebody also. The suncoast kit is a bolt on deal!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a module for the control of the tranny? I'm asking because i have an 06 tranny that was given to me. I figured it should fit into the truck with minor changes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tranny swap

Correct

To convert a 5 speed to 6 speed you will need to change the valvebody also. The suncoast kit is a bolt on deal!
I'm aware of the valve body and what not. The reason i was asking about the 6spd. tranny it self is because, it was given to me. I figured that i can swap it with minor changes. Thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Hmmm, I thought there was a TCM even for the 6 speed...guess I was just assuming it would be like the 5 speed. You might want to e-mail or PM MikeL and see what he knows. He is the Allison guru and is a registered user here, but I'm not sure how often he visits this forum.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as far as i know. All the new trans. have tcm's. that is the tranny's boss.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When you purchase the 5 sp. to 6sp. conversion kit, it comes with a custom TCM and Valve Body. The connector may be different. Call Pacific Performance or Suncoast and ask them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the connections are different. Up to 05 is a OBDII port and 06 is a cam or cad port.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm, I thought there was a TCM even for the 6 speed...guess I was just assuming it would be like the 5 speed. You might want to e-mail or PM MikeL and see what he knows. He is the Allison guru and is a registered user here, but I'm not sure how often he visits this forum.
I own a 6 speed standard there is no Tcm. All automatics have a tcm that I’ve seen.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
My 06 LBZ has a TCM module connected right on the DR side plastic portion of fan shroud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts