Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters we're newbies here so hi. DH doesn't do computers, like doesn't even know where the power button is so please forgive me, the wife, for playing go-between. Here's the story..

One day last week DH was driving home and the clutch felt funny, like it didn't feel as stiff as it should have been. He was coming home to pick something up and leave real quick again and when he went to put it in reverse it wouldn't go into gear. He checked the clutch fluid and it was very low, below the minimum line, so he filled it up but it still didn't work. He automatically thought the slave cylinder went out because he has dealt with that before on another (non-chevy) farm truck. So he pulled the transmission and replaced the slave cylinder/throwout bearing, filled it up with fluid and tried to bleed it and he still can't get it into gear while it is running. He thinks there is still air in the slave cylinder system but can't figure out how to properly bleed it since the only bleeder is up on the reservoir.

So a couple questions, first can anyone tell us how to properly bleed this thing. He has worked on a lot of diesel machinery, semi's and pickup trucks and he says he's beating his head against the wall with this one. Second, would anybody have any suggestions on what else this could be? He really doesn't think it's the clutch. Two days before this happened he hauled several loads of cattle in his stock trailer (which is a weekly event) and the clutch felt fine, no slipping or anything out of the normal. Although this is a farm truck he babies it and drives it very well. When he's not hauling anything he usually speed shifts (maybe powershifting is a better term?) without using the clutch. He's done this with all of his trucks for years and is very easy with it. The clutch in his last truck lasted over 200K miles.

We can't find anyone that is familiar with a 6 speed Duramax and our small town dealer's service dept is useless.

Thanks

**Almost forgot the important stuff- 2004 Duramax, 6.6 L, LB7, 6 speed, 4x4, 128K, we've owned from the beginning**

·
USMC
795 Posts
No idea. But heres a bump

·
Registered
877 Posts
see if you can find 05lly on here and send him a pm he is the manual tranny guy.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
when i did slave cylinder i just kept depressing the clutch until it got firm. i also got rid of the old clutch/flywheel cause the dual mass was bad. sbc setup has given me no problems

·
Registered
31 Posts
Clutch problems

I have a 2002 K2500HD. It is a 6 speed stick. GM replaced 2 flywheels under warranty. The last one was at 88k. I asked the dealer what they were doing to really fix the problem so it wooldn't just fail again under warranty. They said it was a new improved flywheel. this was not the case. I spoke to an engineer at LUK and they said I probably had a modified truck. I do not. That is what they want to believe whenever there is a problem. The LUK engineer said that they had not made any changes to the dual mass flywheel design so I knew then it would fail again. I checked with a rep at ZF trans abouot a single mass flywheel and he said that the trans could take it no problem. When my dual mass flywheel failed for the 3rd time, I converted to single mass on my own. Southbend clutches has a kit. It is a solid flywheel, a clutch disc with a sprung hub and the same pressure plate. I have over 100k on this set up. It is nice.

I would point the finger at the flywheel as the main source of problems. See if your husband can get southbend on the phone. it might save him from a headwound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. DH is going to try to bleed it again this morning after letting it sit. After researching and reading what you all have to say it sounds like we just need to spring for the Southbend setup and replace all the questionable pieces. There doesn't seem to be anybody in my part of MO who sells and installs them (from looking at Southbend site) so if I have them shipped in are they easy enough to install? DH has always done his own mechanic work but has taken a shot to the confidence with this whole bleeder issue.:eek:

We'll have to wait a bit (financially) to order the SB parts so feel free to speak up if any of you have more input on getting this thing operable in the meantime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to add that he did have the flywheel replaced once through the dealership while it was under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys we are going to go ahead and bite the bullet and redo everything with SB parts. We should have done this from the beginning but had to be creative with the finances to make it happen. Anyhow, we're more then willing to listen to suggestions of what all should be checked/replaced while he's in there this time. I'm hoping he won't have to pull the tranny a 3rd time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts