Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fueling up last week when another dmax pulled up to the next pump. We began swapping stories and he mentioned he worked for a company that sold the medium duty allison transmissions. He then told me that an allison tech guy told him that the origional 5 speed allison 1000's used from 2001-2005 had all of the hardware to make them 6 speeds, it was only a slight electrical mod. Is this true or is he full of crap?:liar

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
engineersDURAMAX said:
I was fueling up last week when another dmax pulled up to the next pump. We began swapping stories and he mentioned he worked for a company that sold the medium duty allison transmissions. He then told me that an allison tech guy told him that the origional 5 speed allison 1000's used from 2001-2005 had all of the hardware to make them 6 speeds, it was only a slight electrical mod. Is this true or is he full of crap?:liar

Thanks!!
The hardware is in the trans. C3 releases and C4 applys for 6th gear. Valvebody is different. You do not have enough detents on your shifter for 6th gear.Computer has changed along with the comunication. NSBU swith is no longer as the new switch is internal and is only a nuetral switch now. NSBU was much more than just a nuetral switch. The whole strategy is different. It can be done for a lot of money and will require help from Allison.( which they won't give )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought you would say, I just thought it was worth asking. Thanks for the info. BTW where do you get your knowledge, you seem to know the ally well. Thanks again!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
engineersDURAMAX said:
That's what I thought you would say, I just thought it was worth asking. Thanks for the info. BTW where do you get your knowledge, you seem to know the ally well. Thanks again!!:thumbsup
I stole it.:hyper

·
Registered
10 Posts
all I can say, is thanks for sharing your 'stolen' info.... :drink

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
it's too bad that it wasn't easier to do....I would like to have the 6 speed option.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
yeah, might not be too hard, but that would mean I would have to buy a new truck. So, how's the switch going? I will just have to wait to get the 6 speed....I am far to happy with the way I have my truck now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What about this new option coming out by Sun Coast that will allow one to switch their 5-spd to a 6-spd.

Anyone care to divulge on how they are doing it? Not specifics necessarily, just a generalization. Did they get that help from Allison that "they won't give"?

C-ya

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
From the sounds of it on other forums, it is a different valve body and TCM programming...That is all the guys at suncoast are saying. Also, I heard the price was going to be around $2100. I don't know how they came up with this exactly, but it sounds like it is real. I am interested to see how it works out on the trucks and how hard it would be to install everything. BTW, the guys at suncoast said there would be a discount on this kit if you had one of the tranny kits installed at the same time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
From the sounds of it on other forums, it is a different valve body and TCM programming...That is all the guys at suncoast are saying. Also, I heard the price was going to be around $2100. I don't know how they came up with this exactly, but it sounds like it is real. I am interested to see how it works out on the trucks and how hard it would be to install everything. BTW, the guys at suncoast said there would be a discount on this kit if you had one of the tranny kits installed at the same time.
or sent them your already upgraded VB????

I'm still curious about the "help" needed from Allison to do it. Wonder if SunCoast got it or found a way around it?

C-ya

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
or sent them your already upgraded VB????

I'm still curious about the "help" needed from Allison to do it. Wonder if SunCoast got it or found a way around it?

C-ya
You will not get any help from Allison. The Suncoast kit works pretty well and only needs valve body and TCM replaced. The rest of it has always been there.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
So, us LB7 Guys are screwed for core return?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, us LB7 Guys are screwed for core return?
Joe will honor your core return. He understands that you bought the truck with the non-modulated valve body. So why penalize you for the changes Allison made.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts