Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting in 60 over nozzles along with 65mm Danville stg 2 and a xergy 10mm cp3, First injector I pulled took 3 hrs, had to cut the hard line and weld a nut to it and screw my slide hammer to it, geeez. The dealer had replaced injectors under warranty 10yrs ago and I guess didn’t clean injector bores so the last 100k miles it’s been seeping carbon into injector bore. Not fun! Hope to get it fired up Tuesday or Wednesday.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Ive heard of someone hooking a strap connected to a tractor to pull one before :rofl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was about to hook up to my 3 ton chain hoist or the forklift and pull that sucker out if slide hammer didn’t get it. #hardonequipment. That mentality gets you way more stories and scars than the average dude. I have the stories and hospital trips to prove it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All done, fired up without a problem. Roads are wet so tires spin at partial throttle, turbo sound is awesome. Glad I did everything at once. Gunna take me a full day to clean up the shop haha, as soon as it warmed up I was out driving! More updates when I have dry roads.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Doing everything at once is definitely the way to do it. Glad you got it back together

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found some crazy stuff while working on it, engine was replaced at 27k under warranty for a spun #7 rod bearing all stock no tuner, was all good till flex plate cracked all the way around at about 50k due to the lack of dowel pins in the block from engine replacement. By that point it had the old Van AAken 150hp box in it and I took the tranny from the dealer and built it while they waited on new flex plate and dowel pins and they put it back in for me. Thought all the mistakes had been found years and years ago. This little project revealed missing bolts and nuts on y bridge, found them laying in the lifter valley, chunks of o rings missing in y bridge inlet tube, cp3 had a missing mounting bolt and one injector not seated. Also resonator had a big crack but that was unrelated. How it ran 12.92 at 104 stock in that condition I will never know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So truck was running kind rough, checked balance rates, Gunna replace 5 injectors with Bosch remans, last week I installed 2 GB injectors as that was the only thing available, those 2 were the worst of the 8, lesson learned only Bosch injectors from now on, they should be in and I can swap the 60over nozzles next week as I am going rock crawling with my brother this weekend. If we put it on the trailer under its own power we didn’t do it right lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to the duramax, but was wondering if the 60 over nozzles are worth it? I always thought the stock ones are good for up to 600hp? Is your truck making more than that?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm new to the duramax, but was wondering if the 60 over nozzles are worth it? I always thought the stock ones are good for up to 600hp? Is your truck making more than that?
Just cause stock are said to be good up to a certain number doesnt mean you dont need to upgrade them. A larger injector(to a certain point) tuned for 600hp will be a lot safer on the motor compared to a stock injector at 600. Pulse width/ timing decreased, EGTs cooler , & keeping the fuel in the bowl of the piston are the benefits of a larger injector at the same power level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just cause stock are said to be good up to a certain number doesnt mean you dont need to upgrade them. A larger injector(to a certain point) tuned for 600hp will be a lot safer on the motor compared to a stock injector at 600. Pulse width/ timing decreased, EGTs cooler , & keeping the fuel in the bowl of the piston are the benefits of a larger injector at the same power level.
Good point about the tuning differences, is the spray angle narrower on the 60% overs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts