Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought my 2005 with 47K about 6 mths ago. It has 52k now and I decided to look into the 60k service last night. I used multiple sources, including the forum to find out what services the truck REALLY needed at 60k. I have decent mechanical skills and decided after my research I can do everything by myself.

I call the dealer for a quote, knowing it will be ridiculous, but just to confirm it will be well worth my time to perform the maintenance myself.

This is what they said needed to be done at 60K!

engine flush and oil change
power steering flush and fill
brake system flush and fill
cooling flush and fill
ALLISON FLUSH and FILL, not drain and fill
front and rear differential drain and fill
transfer case drain and fill
fuel filter change
tires rotated
new air filter
all the general inspection stuff as well of course

$1,800.00

Many of these services are not needed until 90K or 100K. What a bunch of thiefs!

Even if you don't perform your maintenance yourself. Do an hour of research to figure out what the dealer or Midas etc. should perform for the service interval. Do not let them tell you that at 30k or 60k every fluid in your truck needs to be changed and all the systems that can be need to be flushed.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Yeah, go figure. You basically said, "HI I have a blank check, what kind of needless stuff can you overcharge me for?" And they bought it hook line and sinker :rof

At least you didn't have to pay the $1800 before you realized you could do it yourself!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Now I can see having some else flush the brake system, everything else except flushing the trany, can easily be done yourself. At 60K I don't see the need to FLUSH the trans instead of just draining it, changing the filter and pouring new ATF back in unless extenuating circumstances would require flushing it.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Yeah, unless your truck is at or past what GM defines as "Severe" use, then regular service intervals work pretty well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Any flushing service I would pay to have done. Probably Midas or a similar place not a dealer. At 60k with minimal towing I don't think anything needs to be flushed besides the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Aren't you proud of doing the maintenance yourself? Makes me feel good making 75 bucks an hour when I do something "for" my truck!!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aren't you proud of doing the maintenance yourself? Makes me feel good making 75 bucks an hour when I do something "for" my truck!!!!
Ya, working on my truck for $75/hr is a good deal.

Is the Dexron 6 for the Allison readily availabe at auto parts stores? How many qts for drain and fill?

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
WOW, that is insane. Like they have said above most of this, even the tranny you can do yourself. Plus save yourself a TON of money.

There are a lot of DIYs on DF to help you through any issues you may have.

If I can help with AMSOIL products to replace your existing, I would be glad to put something together for you. Ask about how to save 25-35% off the retail price of everything too.

Just let me know.

Take care,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts