Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I installed a Dans Diesel 68mm turbo on my truck. I have an add-on EAS pressure sensor to my CTS2 to measure my boost in my cold side pipe. I also have PPEI efi and trans tunes. When I sent them several data logs to tune the new turbo, the PID they use to show boost is around 38 psi but my sensor on my CTS is showing about 28-30 psi max. The system has been pressure tested and has no leaks. What am I missing here? I read all over the forums guys running much higher boost than me and I want to make sure this new turbo is being fully utilized, but having 10 psi of boost missing has me concerned.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
So youre sure the Edge gauge isnt maxxed out at30?

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-5” straight pipe axle dumped
-Rail plugged
-full s&b intake and mouthpiece
-dans diesel 800 HP built trans with billet stator
-glowshift EGT, boost, fuel pressure, edge cts2
-Cognito built tie rods
-fuel lab 100 gph lift pump
-Dans sportsman CP3

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah because before i did the turbo it would read 32-35 for the stock turbo. Its a 0-100 psi sensor

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Low rail pressure could be causing low boost but its unlikely that your fuel pump would be going out at the exact same time. Thats how i started to diagnose my fuel pump when it went out though. I saw lower than usual boost numbers, then looked at rail pressure vs demanded and there was a decent gap. Replaced the fuel pump and boost is back again. Something to check before you ask your tuner since you have an edge handy

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-Rail plugged
-Cognito built tie rods
-Dans sportsman CP3

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the thing, Im on my 3rd tune revision from PPEI. I dont think Kory has anything to do with retunes anymore, so who knows who's doing it. All my pressures are consistent with desired. Hence my question, they saw 38 psi in the data log from the PID but Im not getting that on my gauge. If i remember correctly the "boost" pid just reads off baro pressure and has an equation it uses.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thats the thing, Im on my 3rd tune revision from PPEI. I dont think Kory has anything to do with retunes anymore, so who knows who's doing it. All my pressures are consistent with desired. Hence my question, they saw 38 psi in the data log from the PID but Im not getting that on my gauge. If i remember correctly the "boost" pid just reads off baro pressure and has an equation it uses.

you are correct, do you feel any difference in power from stock? Either way?

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-Rail plugged
-Cognito built tie rods
-Dans sportsman CP3

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you are correct, do you feel any difference in power from stock? Either way?
Oh it definitely has more power with the new turbo. Im just making sure that Im efficiently using the new turbo with the tunes and im not missing something. 10 psi difference seems significant

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oh it definitely has more power with the new turbo. Im just making sure that Im efficiently using the new turbo with the tunes and im not missing something. 10 psi difference seems significant

Remember bigger turbo doesnt always mean more boost, pushing too much boost out of a turbo like your stock one probably was only makes less power because its operating less efficiently and basically just pushing hot air. Im not sure if that makes up for 8-10 psi of difference though...

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-Rail plugged
-Cognito built tie rods
-Dans sportsman CP3

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Unfortunately you will probably have to go to a tuner and ask about it and maybe even dyno it

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-Rail plugged
-Cognito built tie rods
-Dans sportsman CP3

·
Registered
503 Posts
How hot does your exhaust temperatures run?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thats normal

(At WOT)
-head studs and gaskets
-66mm
-Rail plugged
-Cognito built tie rods
-Dans sportsman CP3

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ya 1200 degrees egt's is good, but sounds to me like your just a little over 500hp. That turbo should be capable of a lot more, sounds like you need more fuel to me. Id be talking to my tuner..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya 1200 degrees egt's is good, but sounds to me like your just a little over 500hp. That turbo should be capable of a lot more, sounds like you need more fuel to me. Id be talking to my tuner..
What should I be asking for? They are just using the pid for measuring boost which they say is seeing 38 psi. Its PPEI but i dont know whos doing the tuning over there anymore, doubt Kory even looks at retunes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yesterday I did a comparison between my boost gauge and then the boost pid. It seems to me that either my gauge or the pid calculation is off exponentially. And checked my baro pressure and it was 14.5, so the basis of the pid is normal.
Gauge PID
10 psi 12 psi
15 psi 20 psi
20 psi 30 psi
26 psi 38 psi

Any ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So guys to anyone who reads this, I’m an idiot. The 0-100 psi pressure gauge I had didn’t use conventional voltage input/output. I made a custom map to the gauge in my CTS2 for the correct voltages and now it’s showing low 40’s psi. I hope this can help someone down the road and thanks for those that offered help.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Makes sense, thanks for posting an answer.

I've been keeping up with your thread here and I thought something just seemed a little funny but didn't have a clue what. Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Makes sense, thanks for posting an answer.

I've been keeping up with your thread here and I thought something just seemed a little funny but didn't have a clue what. Glad you got it figured out.
Yeah I hope it might help someone because when I was searching for an answer every forum thread ended in a blank. I bought a glowshift sensor and wired it into the pigtail of my Eas since it was about a third of the price. Hence the reason for the problem.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Good deal, glad you got it fixed. Low 40's boost your makin some good power 🙂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts