Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i have decided to sell my truck and get an 8.1l big block. but as I was doing research on performance upgrades for the future I realized only the Duramax guys know anything about the Allison..this one guy on a gto forum I think installed a whipple supercharger okay cool this is an increase in more than 90 hp on a stock Allison so he limped it. he calls whipple and they tell him its a problem with his headers BS so he replaces them. same problem... calls whipple back they tell him its his catalytic converter replaces them..same problem calls whipple back they cant figure it out ( BS ) so he says he will just pull the codes and drive it everyday what can happen.. no he needs a new tranny and wants whipple to pay for it...all he had to do was search LIMP MODE and could have saved quite a bit of money.

Just thought I'd share that with you

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
You sold your duramax for a 8.1L?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
so i have decided to sell my truck and get an 8.1l big block. But as i was doing research on performance upgrades for the future i realized only the duramax guys know anything about the allison..this one guy on a gto forum i think installed a whipple supercharger okay cool this is an increase in more than 90 hp on a stock allison so he limped it. He calls whipple and they tell him its a problem with his headers bs so he replaces them. Same problem... Calls whipple back they tell him its his catalytic converter replaces them..same problem calls whipple back they cant figure it out ( bs ) so he says he will just pull the codes and drive it everyday what can happen.. No he needs a new tranny and wants whipple to pay for it...all he had to do was search limp mode and could have saved quite a bit of money.

Just thought i'd share that with you

this is the worst idea you have ever come up with.

·
Registered
405 Posts
what why would you get rid of your dmax for a gas guzzler with less hp

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Sorry man, but i would have to agree...:confused:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Why in the hell would you do such a shit? Don't be an idiot.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I sure hope that is an April fools joke.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i think everybody hopes it is cuz that is not a smart choice at all

·
Registered
90 Posts
someone needs a helmet :stooges1

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wait please tell me you sold your truck to pay back the dudes mustang you totaled, and it just so happened you had enough funds to buy a gas guzzling 8100?

·
Registered
405 Posts
so i guess its for real since he never said anythin else about it

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Um..wow..:eek:

·
Registered
405 Posts
i know dang really waitin for him to say somethin cuz that just seems like a waste of money:confused:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry I havent been on but I'll never be able to afford another dmax once its gone so i figured that's the next best thing.. I don't care about mileage I just like the sound of the big block and I will never be able to get another duramax because there so damn expensive

·
Registered
405 Posts
how is an 8.1 gunna be any cheaper

·
Registered
248 Posts
dont mean to be a dick, but that sounds like the dumbest idea ever to me...

you get half the mileage, only 2/3 the hp... and now your not a diesel guy, just a gasser like all the other "different word for cat's"....

but it's your choice, i just hope your happy with it...

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
sorry I havent been on but I'll never be able to afford another dmax once its gone so i figured that's the next best thing.. I don't care about mileage I just like the sound of the big block and I will never be able to get another duramax because there so damn expensive
Dang man, you weren't just kidding:eek:

How about this, you go get a little cheap azz ricer and drive it for a year while you save some cash up for a real truck. The 8.1l is not that much cheaper than the Dmax, and what you save up front will be spent in fuel probably the first year.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I got rid of my 8.1L FAST. I got a best of 10.5 mpgs. I spent more money on gas monthly than I spent on the payment. It's pretty much a $20 bill no matter where you want to drive. Grocery store 5 miles away and run some errands...20 bucks in gas. I hated the thing to say the least. They have nice power, but it costs 10 dollars to keep your foot in it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts