Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First diesel truck and I wish I would have heeded the advice I saw on here and not bought the truck. 8000 miles in and I’m having code po1cf.

Some research on here shows it’s a known problem. Oh joy.

This is my work truck when it’s down I’m not making money. I drove my ecoboost ford transit van like I stole it every day and had only a few problems revolving around joints. I regret buying this 50000$ paperweight also known as a Duramax.

8000 miles and I have an injector code. If I could go back in time I wouldn’t buy this truck.

This sucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*joints = ujoints

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next up the three hour process of unloading the truck so I can take it in for service. I’ll reload my beat down transit van and put it back to work. I’ll keep this post updated but as of now it’s a real fucking disappointment

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sorry to say but if you're here to piss & moan about buyers regret on a Dmax Forum you probably won't get much sympathy. It sucks but it's a piece of equipment, they break. If your ecopoof was so awesome I guess you should have bought another one of those'dunno;

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have the ecoboost waiting in the wings. Tomorrow morning I’ll be loading it up. Don’t tell me 8000 miles is an ok Mileage to have problems because it’s not. All vehicles have problems I get it.

But dam it’s only had one oil change.

I know all about equipment breaking I own and operate a fleet service company and 5he Duramax is my paycheck.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I assume this is a newer truck- 2017+? There is a known problem with the electrical connections to the injectors. I've really only seen it reported on the '17s and '18s. Apparently a manufacturing / design problem with the connector. GM is well aware of it but I'm not sure what they are currently doing to fix it.

Reactions: Montucky

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assume this is a newer truck- 2017+? There is a known problem with the electrical connections to the injectors. I've really only seen it reported on the '17s and '18s. Apparently a manufacturing / design problem with the connector. GM is well aware of it but I'm not sure what they are currently doing to fix it.
Yes it’s a 2019 I’ve got an appointment today at dealer, but from my research it appears they don’t have a fix for this. I am going to change the fuel filter this morning.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
They were replacing injectors on them for a while but think they figured out that was just a temporary fix. I know one of the guys on here who uses his truck to tow commercially has discovered that cleaning the connectors works. He has over 250k on his '17 so I'm guessing he knows what he's talking about.

Reactions: Montucky

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
There is a fix-it kit from GM to re-pin the connectors. I just cut mine off, and used gold plated LBZ plugs.

The truck is still under warranty. Take it in and let them do their thing. A forum diagnosis could be way out in left field somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s injector #3 and it’s 3-5 days for parts. Like I said this is a work truck so I will either be out thousands or I have to load my ecoboost transit van back up and press it into service.

Looks like it’s ecoboost for the win.

I’m giving this truck one year and if it fails me again I’m punting.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
My guess is that same injector will cause issues again, and they’ll finally come to the conclusion that it’s your plugs. But if your service guys or anything like my local ones, you can’t tell them anything.

They wanted to replace the same injector the third time, I finally started to take care of it myself. But, that was just past 100K, so I was out of warranty anyway.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
They were replacing injectors on them for a while but think they figured out that was just a temporary fix. I know one of the guys on here who uses his truck to tow commercially has discovered that cleaning the connectors works. He has over 250k on his '17 so I'm guessing he knows what he's talking about.

so we got rid of the CP4 for a less failure prone fuel system only to now go back to LB7 injector issues? At this rate my next rid will run on hay...

Sorry to say but if you're here to piss & moan about buyers regret on a Dmax Forum you probably won't get much sympathy. It sucks but it's a piece of equipment, they break. If your ecopoof was so awesome I guess you should have bought another one of those'dunno;
Im with the OP on this one, nothing on a 50K+ truck should break within 8000 miles, ESPECIALLY the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My guess is that same injector will cause issues again, and they’ll finally come to the conclusion that it’s your plugs. But if your service guys or anything like my local ones, you can’t tell them anything.

They wanted to replace the same injector the third time, I finally started to take care of it myself. But, that was just past 100K, so I was out of warranty anyway.

Hi,

I came across your post about your injector problems while researching on here. You mentioned you had some connections replaced and that seemed to solve it. When you say plugs you mean those not glow plug right?

Thanks
Sean

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Hi,

I came across your post about your injector problems while researching on here. You mentioned you had some connections replaced and that seemed to solve it. When you say plugs you mean those not glow plug right?

Thanks

Sean

Yes, the actual electrical connectors for the injectors.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
so we got rid of the CP4 for a less failure prone fuel system only to now go back to LB7 injector issues? At this rate my next rid will run on hay...

Im with the OP on this one, nothing on a 50K+ truck should break within 8000 miles, ESPECIALLY the engine.

No, the injectors aren't failing - the connectors are. One of the couple of reasons I didn't buy a '17-'18 and now won't buy a '20. New motor on the last one and new body and trans on this one. After 18 years of LB7 ownership and 5 sets of injectors I learned my lesson. No more early models on a major change for me. If I can maintain self control a little while longer, I'll wait for the '22s before I buy another just to get all the bugs worked out...

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
No, the injectors aren't failing - the connectors are. One of the couple of reasons I didn't buy a '17-'18 and now won't buy a '20. New motor on the last one and new body and trans on this one. After 18 years of LB7 ownership and 5 sets of injectors I learned my lesson. No more early models on a major change for me. If I can maintain self control a little while longer, I'll wait for the '22s before I buy another just to get all the bugs worked out...
I dont really care if its the injectors, the connectors, or the cup holders. If its got 8000 miles on it from the factory, it should work flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I dont really care if its the injectors, the connectors, or the cup holders. If its got 8000 miles on it from the factory, it should work flawlessly.

Like I said, it's why I won't buy an "introduction model" again. But I do care if it's injectors or connectors. They have never come out with a fix for the LB7 injectors... there is already a fix for the bad connectors. BIG difference.

And if you think that anyone is capable of mass producing a PERFECT vehicle, as complicated as they are these days, first time out of the hole with huge changes, you have pretty unreal expectations. Toyota probably comes the closest and they still screw things up too. Actually, the ergonomics in the Tundras is the worst I've ever experienced. Never gave ergonomics 10 seconds worth of thought till I drove my first Tundra.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Like I said, it's why I won't buy an "introduction model" again. But I do care if it's injectors or connectors. They have never come out with a fix for the LB7 injectors... there is already a fix for the bad connectors. BIG difference.

And if you think that anyone is capable of mass producing a PERFECT vehicle, as complicated as they are these days, first time out of the hole with huge changes, you have pretty unreal expectations. Toyota probably comes the closest and they still screw things up too. Actually, the ergonomics in the Tundras is the worst I've ever experienced. Never gave ergonomics 10 seconds worth of thought till I drove my first Tundra.
no, i am very aware that no one produces anything perfectly, however, an issue that kills the engine, be it the connector, the injector, a rubbed through harness, a loose bolt or a connecting rod hanging out the side should not be a common enough issue on a new truck that there is already a "known issue" state for it.

You have an electrical issue, or a programming issue that makes it through testing but causes a situation that undesirable, ok things happen. but when the engine stops working you are no longer in the realm of inconvenient first gen issues, you are at "how did you not find this in testing" issues.

Its a brand new fuel system, new injectors, new pump, and we all saw how well thats worked for GM over the years, so while it does not surprise me they did as little testing as possible, you would like to think that the company with a track record of fuel delivery and connector issues would.... i dont know.... learn from 2 decades of mistakes?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts