Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ImageUploadedByAG Free1417708485.738646.jpg

This is the first vehicle I ever owned, purchased the summer before I turned 16. A couple years later I added the trail master suspension lift and flowmaster 40 series delta flow exhaust. It's stock other than that and a radio. I don't drive it much anymore but there are some issues I'd like to have fixed and I'm not sure where to start.

Problem number 1:
Over the last 6 years I've out under 10k miles on it but have replaced the power steering pump twice. There is a whining noise coming from under the good that fluctuates with rpm's. All the pulleys seem to be good as far as I can tell. The shop that replaced my last pump said my steering gearbox was bad and that was causing it to ruin pumps. Does that sound reasonable? If so, is installing a gearbox pretty straight forward or is there a bunch of special tools and knowledge that a guy needs? I see that O'Rileys auto parts has gearboxes with a limited lifetime warranty for $135.

Problem number 2:
Since the first day I had the lift installed the truck seems to twist when I hit a decent size bump. The front end seems to go the right as the suspension in compressed (from the drivers seat) and the back end to the left. I'm wondering if a bad shock could be the cause. Any ideas?

Problem number 3:
The windshield wipers don't always work when I turn them on. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they won't work at all, and sometimes they'll start to work then stop half way trough their movement. I've been told that could be related to the ignition switch which might make sense because I did have a problem with it awhile back.

Problem number 4:
When I push in the clutch the pedal is slow to return at times. This started after the truck had set for a little over a year without being driven. I'm leaning towards a lubrication issue but I'm not sure. Any help y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

-James

Edited to add: the motor is the 350ci and transmission is a 4 speed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Those series had issue with the wiper motor- replace.

A lift that big is tough on a truck especially if it MAY have been insalled incorrectly. Bad shocks could be the culprit.

Clutch- is it a spring or hydraulic clutch? Hydraulic means the seals are leaking or fluid is going bad.

Steering have a professional shop check it out- I don't f with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I tried to give the lift to a guy the other day, all he had to do was pay the shop to take it off but he backed out. I don't know about the clutch but I'm guessing hydraulic. I'll change the fluid and see what happens. I think that's the way I'll go with the steering. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too have a 89 silverado and was my first vehicle and also don't ride it that much anymore I've had to replace a couple power steering hoses since I've owned it and the pump once, my wipers also do some crazy stuff, can also be the wiper pulse board

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
The wiper pulse board is in the motor. Thats wht you have to replace the whole thing.

Avalon

·
Registered
68 Posts
GM started using hydraulic clutches in 1985, if your pedal is slow to return it could possibly under the dash. The pedal pivots on a bolt with plastic bushings so its doubtful the pedal is sticking but its possible, if its not that could possibly be the rubber section of the line between the slave and master cylinder collapsing. When the pedal is slow to come up does the clutch itself slip?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If p/s pump gave trouble after lift and tires I would point toward wide tires turning in parking lots etc. stressful. Gearbox is easy though need a pitman arm puller but I would put a new one on it along with idler arm. Wipers is pulse board as said if the motor sticks through Firewall take cover off slide board out and new in, 88's and some newer use motor with board in it and all has to be changed. Steering jerking I think is bump steer I would talk to a lift shop

·
Registered
81 Posts
I forgot about clutch try pushing pedal to floor and slide foot off pedal so it bangs up we had one that could not get bleed by accident this worked good hope I help

·
Registered
699 Posts
There also an adjustment on that gear box, if it was tighten to much and will tear up the pump too

·
Registered
699 Posts
Also if your on a budget it's 50/50 but you can take the wiper motor apart and clean the brass feeler up

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GM started using hydraulic clutches in 1985, if your pedal is slow to return it could possibly under the dash. The pedal pivots on a bolt with plastic bushings so its doubtful the pedal is sticking but its possible, if its not that could possibly be the rubber section of the line between the slave and master cylinder collapsing. When the pedal is slow to come up does the clutch itself slip?

I haven't noticed any clutch slippage when the petal is sticking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I was wrong about the clutch. It is definitely slipping until the pedal returns to its top position.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot about clutch try pushing pedal to floor and slide foot off pedal so it bangs up we had one that could not get bleed by accident this worked good hope I help

I tried that and there was no change. Thank you for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Monroe has a buy 3 get one free promotion going on right now so I'm planning on replacing the shocks on my 89. It has a 6" Trailmaster lift. I called Trailmaster this afternoon and unbeknownst to me they've sold to Pro-Comp and don't produce those same lifts anymore. They also don't carry the shocks or have any information about the length I would need. Anybody have any ideas other than taking them off and measuring their length?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts