Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I need your help! 2004 duramax 2500HD 4X4 6.6 lly, this weekend started ok as it should and has with no problems. Today, started no problems for a thirtytwo mile trip to Lowes. Finished shopping, went to start and it spinned longer than it has ever as for about 6 seconds with no start. Waited a few seconds, started again and it started and ran for 4 seconds and died never to be started again. Waited and tried to re-start again but nothing but spinning. Had to call for a tow to the dealership. Ouch! i thought maybe fuel pump! I keep my truck up-to-date on everything, fuel filter, oil & etc.

Any help from someone who has had similar problems or has suggestions would be very helpful. I know it's at the dealer but I don't want it to be major repairs. I have GM extended Warranty.

Thanks gentlemen, and too for this forum.

Bill

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is air in the fuel system. I would have tried to prime the system first. Also, I know that south carolina is hard on batteries because of the heat. (my parents came down to visit me while I was stationed there and they had a battery go out, but the car didn't even crank) You could have had a bad battery. Do you have any mods on it or is it totally stock? I know there was a TSB on the injector harness going to #2 and #7 injectors. There has been a problem with them chafing. This sounds more like a reason for it to be failing. Let us know what the dealer says. Also, Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The batteries are good and strong and I have a good engine turn-over. Everything is stock except AirLift Bags. How would air get into the fuel system? Since the last fuel filter change, I have done some hard fifth wheel towing the NC mountains with no problems. If I would have had some time in the Lowes parking lot I would have pump primed the filter to see if that would have helped.

Oh well, I have heard some stories about these fuel pumps from this forum.

I will let you guys know what the dealer said.

Thanks and have a good rest of your weekend.

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the same thing that has happened to me. I just pulled my travel trailer from Idaho to Utah (250 miles). Unloaded the trailer and went to park it, and the engine died. Now it cranks but won't start. The fuel filter was changed less than 500 miles ago, and it's changed with every oil change. Did I loose a pump? What was the response from the dealer on this issue?

·
Registered
565 Posts
sounds like you may have just lost prime like the system is leakin...you need to prime it and see if that fixes your problem

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Also, check that you don't have the fuel injection harness rub through problem.... The harness rubs through on the alternator bracket and then who knows what can happen.....maybe no start. I put a piece of rubber hose on mine and now it rests on that. Just a thought. Also bad fuel.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is air in the fuel system. I would have tried to prime the system first.
Agreed.

Not a diesel expert by any means, but lately I've had the same stalling out problem the morning after a long trip. Prime it and don't think twice about it (until the next long trip).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts