Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** Newbie here ***I have a 13 LML that has had all he the usual DEF system issues in the past.. a few days ago the service Deisel exhaust system message popped up (again) so we were looking into a delete kit to put on it but this morning the truck wouldn't start it just cranks?? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated on how to get the truck running till I can the Def sytem off of it.
Thank you!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did you scan for engine codes? I'd start there...

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Crank an' no fire on a Dmax, 1st always check the primer button for firmness/loss of prime. Push 'til firm and try to start.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
*** Newbie here ***I have a 13 LML that has had all he the usual DEF system issues in the past.. a few days ago the service Deisel exhaust system message popped up (again) so we were looking into a delete kit to put on it but this morning the truck wouldn't start it just cranks?? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated on how to get the truck running till I can the Def sytem off of it.
Thank you!
As hook said, most likely cause of a no start if the engine is turning is fuel delivery, a bad filter head will drain fuel out of the lines back to the tank, and it will take a lot of cranking to reprime the fuel line. (you should not crank the engine to prime the line) Use the button on the filter head to prime the fuel lines, push it until you cant push it any more, then try to start the truck.

This is more or less what the filter head looks like and its location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup that's what it was... primed it a few times and it fired right up! so apparently theres a leak somewhere that's allowing it to loose prime.
Thank you guys very much!!

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Wild temp swings can trigger the worn marginal seals to give it up and leak by.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bsooner,

My $.02 worth

It is time for a lift pump, replace the flexible hoses and rebuild the filter head.

If I let my truck sit for more than one day, I had to prime the fuel system, turn out being bad seals in the filter head; the lift pump will pressurize (8-10 PSI) the suction/feed side and most of the time show you where you where it is sucking air with an oily spot or squirting diesel.

Go with a reputable brand and search the forum for lift pumps...honestly most street trucks will never reach the 95 GPH, I got a deal for the 165 at the same price, so my fuel is extra, extra, extra, extra clean :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts