Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, been looking at this truck and I'm on the fence about it.

It has 258k on it and the owner had claimed that he replaced most of the front end, upper control arm, bushings, ball joints tie rod ends, new batteries and turn signal switch. I've verified that the batteries and turn signal switch was replaced, the rest is tbt.

The bad:

Truck seems to not have any parking lamps from front to back-could be a fuse...

The only other issue is Shift solenoid A is malfunctioning. No over drive. I've replaced solenoids and it is fixed this in the past with other trucks. My MacTool scan tool is suggesting that it could be wiring issue, another reported fix was replacing the transmission.

The truck has 258k miles but seems to be a little sluggish to start but sounds strong(possibly hasn't started in months). I can't hear the turbo but I haven't driven it yet. The last 6.5 I had it didn't have a cat or muffler so you could hear the turbo for sure.

The owner said that his wife's Burb was down so she drove it for 2 days to get to work while he fixed her truck. It sat for a couple of weeks and the next time he drove it he noticed right away that it wasn't shifting into OD.

Tires are new all around. Still have some digging into it but here's what I'm thinking. He's claiming he paid 8k for it about 15k miles later and who knows how long ago. Bought it to be a work truck but OD went out. He's asking 5k for it. I'd love to get it for 3800 and no more than 4500.

Should I walk away or am I on track. It seems to be a decent work truck. Don't want to waste this guy's time but depending what the opinions are on here would determine if I go back to look at it.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dont know too much about the 6.5 detroits, everything I've read and heard says they're reasonably reliable but anemic in the power department. I'm obviously biased towards a duramax (go figure) but If I was in your shoes with your budget looking for a work truck I would get into an LB7 duramax before a 6.5 any day of the week. I'm not sure where you live but in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) decent higher mileage LB7's can be had for around $4000.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your going to spend 5k just getting that truck ready for regular use. (After you get it home). Id rather take my chances on a ford 6.0

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know too much about the 6.5 detroits, everything I've read and heard says they're reasonably reliable but anemic in the power department. I'm obviously biased towards a duramax (go figure) but If I was in your shoes with your budget looking for a work truck I would get into an LB7 duramax before a 6.5 any day of the week. I'm not sure where you live but in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) decent higher mileage LB7's can be had for around $4000.
I'm in North Carolina but would drive across the US for a $4k LB7 any day of the week. Wisconsin? Yeah it might take me a week to get home but I'd do it!

Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts